FORT KNOX, Kentucky (Feb. 7, 2017) -- The U.S. Army Cadet Command announced today the eight winners of the MacArthur Awards for the school year 2015-2016.The award recognizes the eight schools, selected from among the 275 senior Army Reserve Officers' Training Corps (ROTC) units nationwide, as the top programs in the country.The awards, presented by Cadet Command and the Gen. Douglas MacArthur Foundation, recognize the ideals of "duty, honor and country" as advocated by MacArthur.The award is based on a combination of the achievement of the school's commissioning mission, its cadets' performance and standing on the command's National Order of Merit List and its cadet retention rate.Cadet Command and the MacArthur Foundation have given the awards each year since 1989.The FY16 awardees of the General Douglas MacArthur Award, selected by their brigade commanders as the top performing program, are:• Virginia Military Institute, Lexington, Virginia, which represents Cadet Command's 1st Brigade (2nd year awarded).
• University of Maine, Orono, Maine, which represents 2nd Brigade.
• University of Wisconsin-Madison, Madison, Wisconsin, which represents 3rd Brigade.
• Campbell University, Buies Creek, North Carolina, which represents 4th Brigade.
• University of Arkansas, Fayetteville, Arkansas, which represents 5th Brigade.
• Georgia Southern University, Statesboro, Georgia, which represents 6th Brigade (2nd year awarded).
• Indiana University, Bloomington, Indiana, which represents 7th Brigade.
• University of Guam, Mangilao, Guam, which represents for 8th Brigade.