News from the Army's Oldest, Continuously Operating Arsenal
By John B. Snyder, Watervliet ArsenalFebruary 3, 2017
WATERVLIET ARSENAL, N.Y. -- In this newsletter called The Salvo is a gathering of key stories and photos that capture some of the action at the Army's manufacturing center at Watervliet, N.Y., for the month of January 2017. The lead story is about the receipt of the largest manufacturing contract in a generation that will provide the arsenal more than $47 million to manufacture 155mm howitzer cannons for India.
The Watervliet Arsenal is an Army-owned-and-operated manufacturing facility and is the oldest, continuously active arsenal in the United States having begun operations during the War of 1812. It celebrated its 200th anniversary on July 14, 2013. It is a subordinate command to TACOM LCMC and the Army Materiel Command.
Today's Arsenal is relied upon by U.S. and allied armies to produce the most advanced, high-tech, high-powered weaponry for cannon, howitzer, and mortar systems. This National Historic Registered Landmark had revenue in fiscal year 2016 that exceeded $126 million and provides an annual economic benefit to the local community in excess of $90 million.
- August 15, 2017Army apprentices are experiencing the best, most difficult years of their lives
- August 11, 2017FORSCOM Frontline - Aug. 11, 2017
- August 9, 2017Rock Island Arsenal's senior commander speaks at local fair
- August 8, 2017AMC top performing employees to receive Dellamonica award
- August 7, 2017AMCOM provides readiness update to AMC commander
- August 7, 2017Army Vice Chief praises Redstone workforce
- August 7, 2017Watervliet Arsenal bucks national trend of manufacturers by having robust applicant interest
- July 31, 2017Arsenal adds millions to its Foreign Military Sales workload
- July 28, 2017Workforce Wednesday: Jim Thompson
- July 28, 2017Gamble honors veteran's sacrifices, preservation of freedom, at Korean War remembrance
- July 27, 2017Army wins big in cost savings through Value Engineering program
- July 26, 2017First Army Ministry Teams train MS, UT Army National Guard partners
- July 26, 2017First Army hosts Asian American Pacific Islander Heritage Observance
- July 26, 20173-D printing in the field gives Soldiers more flexibility
- July 21, 2017AMC Best Warrior competition announces 2017 winners at Redstone Arsenal luncheon
- July 21, 2017SMDC commander signs implementing arrangement with RMI