82nd ADSB Paratroopers prepare for Air Assault school
By Sgt. Daniel SchroederJanuary 5, 2017
FORT BRAGG, N.C. -- As the brisk morning air nips at his fingers, Pvt. Jon-Luk Cole fights to keep his grasp on the rope as he pulls himself up reaching the top of the obstacle.
Cole and fellow Paratroopers from the 82nd Airborne Division Sustainment Brigade and Fort Bragg battled with the chilly air as they negotiated their way through the Air Assault obstacle course on Fort Bragg, N.C., January 4, 2017.
"The course was more challenging than I thought," said Cole, a parachute rigger assigned to the 151st Division Aerial Delivery Company, 189th Combat Sustainment Support Battalion. "It showed me what I need to work on before going to Air Assault."
More than 120 Paratroopers and Soldiers traversed the course with the intent of completing a prerequisite to attend an upcoming Air Assault class on Fort Bragg.
The DeGlopper Air Assault School hosted this prerequisite training as a way for Fort Bragg units to certify Paratroopers and Soldiers on the course.
"Attending our monthly obstacle course is not a requirement for entry into Air Assault," said Sgt. 1st Class Joshua Bronson, Air Assault Chief Instructor. "Soldiers must have their commanders state they are able to complete the course prior to enrollment. We host the course monthly to allow units on [Global Response Force] or smaller units who cannot certify their Soldiers themselves due to circumstances."
The school graduates approximately 1,000 Soldiers and Paratroopers per year from the Air Assault course. Air Assault instills confidence in service members to use rotary wing assets to accomplish the mission.
The DeGlopper Air Assault School offers Air Assault, Rappel master and Fast Rope Insertion and Extraction System master courses since opening in 2014.
"We update our courses and doctrine to meet the needs of commanders," Bronson said. "It's important to maintain skill sets we haven't used in the past few years and possibly use in the future."
- July 7, 202094th AAMDC Commander Becomes Flag Officer
- July 7, 2020Explosive leadership: ‘Standing on the shoulders of giants’
- July 2, 2020FORSCOM Frontline
- July 2, 2020“108th, 11th ADA BDE Conducts Transfer of Authority”
- July 1, 2020SERE COVID-19 Response
- July 1, 2020Army airborne task force descends onto Guam
- June 30, 2020USASOAC welcomes new commander
- June 26, 2020NC National Guard deploys cybersecurity response force
- June 25, 202062nd AMXS Airman accepted to Air Force Academy class of 2025
- June 25, 2020Four Fort Bragg Leaders Discuss Army Readiness, Army Hiring Days, COVID-19 Health Precautions
- June 24, 2020National Guard ready for hurricane season
- June 16, 2020Air Force, Army work together to save life
- June 13, 2020Panther Paratroopers Earn Expert Infantryman, Expert Soldier Badges
- June 11, 2020Blanchfield Army Community Hospital Surgery Super Clinic team delivers high level of care