Military sis wins double
By Ms. Demetria Mosley (Fort Jackson Leader)November 9, 2016
As Mecca Givens browsed Fort Jackson's website to find more information on where her older brother would be spending 10 weeks of his life, she stumbled across an ad for a contest."The website said something about an art contest going on," she said. "I went to Mississippi School of the Arts and had never won anything before, so I thought I would give it a try," she said.Givens entered two pieces into the FMWR Arts and Crafts contest. Eager to learn if she won or not, she called the contest department often to see when judgments would be announced."I called one day and the lady said she would email the winners Monday," she said. "When Monday came around and I didn't get an email, I called my mom and told her the bad news that I didn't win."Wanting to see what improvements she could make to get better at her craft, Givens went on FMWR's website to look at pictures of the contest winners pieces." I started strolling and then stop. I looked at the picture and said 'Wait, that's mine!'," she said.
Givens reaction was to cry from happiness. She won first place in the Novice 2D Mixed Media for her piece "Typewriter in the Theatre" and second place in the 3D Mixed Media Novice for "Madness in Wonderland.""I couldn't believe I won. I was so happy," she said.
- March 27, 2020Joint Service Partnership Maintains Deep-Drawn Cartridge Case Readiness
- March 20, 202010th Mountain Division chefs continue tradition of culinary excellence at Fort Drum
- March 19, 2020Ground broken for new Explosive Ordnance Disposal facility
- March 18, 2020U.S. Army rolls out new medical-training mannequins
- March 16, 2020New Jersey's top recruiter finds inspiration in art
- March 11, 2020War Eagles Win Back-to-Back Basketball Championships
- March 6, 2020Army recruiter is contestant on 'The Voice'
- March 3, 2020Engaged Leadership and the Art of Listening
- March 2, 2020"Biggest Winner" weight loss competition promotes better living
- February 26, 2020'Machine Gun University' keeps Soldiers ready for real-world missions
- February 26, 2020Program places 96% of separating Soldiers
- February 25, 2020Students participate in Culinary Arts Festival of Europe
- February 20, 2020New Jackson state-of-the-art school officially opens
- February 13, 2020Georgia National Guard Soldier won Daytona in 1950
- February 10, 2020Art teachers learn 3-D printing through STEM outreach at Picatinny Arsenal