Fort Drum MEDDAC provides helpful tips on medical record transfer

By Mr. Chul H Yang (Northern Regional Medical Command)August 27, 2019

Pvt. Kendric Smith files medical records at Guthrie Ambulatory Healthcare Clinic
(Photo Credit: U.S. Army) VIEW ORIGINAL

Its permanent-change-of-station move season and the staff at Fort Drum U.S. Army Medical Department Activity are here to provide some helpful tips on making your transition as smooth as possible when it comes to your military health records.

Currently, all our medical records are processed electronically. What does that mean to you? It means that all medical records are now processed and transferred digitally. This procedure will simplify and expedite your health in-processing at your new station. And by electronic transfer, there's no need to carry bulk paper copies and avoids any worries of losing/misplacement of your records.

However, there are times when it's necessary to carry your health records, like being stationed at a remote area or not having a military treatment facility nearby. No worries! If you know that you will be in this situation, talk to MEDDAC Patient Administrative Division personnel. The staff will do all that they can to assist with your transition.

Here are some helpful PCS tips when processing through the MEDDAC.

Outpatient Medical Records - Permanent Change of Station (PCS)

• Records may not be hand carried by the patient in accordance with current Laws and Department of Defense Policy. (Some exceptions may apply)

• Remember, your medical records are not automatically transferred to your gaining facility; you must contact your current servicing medical records branch for instructions.

• To reach Guthrie Ambulatory Healthcare Clinic, Fort Drum MEDDAC Patient Administrative Division (PAD) please call 315-772-4032

• Although most of the medical records are kept in digital format, there still are some hardcopy records.

Before departing Fort Drum

• Active Duty Service Members assigned to MEDDAC, WTU, DENTAC, and Veterinarian Services must process through PAD located at Guthrie Ambulatory Healthcare Clinic, 11050 Mt. Belvedere Blvd. Fort Drum, NY.

• Provide a copy of your orders

• Process DD Form 877 (Request for Medical/Dental Records or Information) provided by MEDDAC.

• Active Duty Service Members assigned to the10th MTN DIV asset or other military branches must process through PAD at Conner Troop Medical Clinic (CTMC), bldg. 10020

• Provide a copy of your orders

• Process DD Form 877 (including mailing information) and carry to your gaining unit medical facility.

Arriving at gaining unit

• Process through the medical facility and present the DD Form 877 to receive medical records from Fort Drum.

Additional information on Requesting Copies of Medical Records can be found at:

From Military Hospitals and Clinics

You may request paper copies of your medical records from the military hospital or clinic records office. If it's been more than two years since your last appointment, you'll need to request copies of your records from the archives.

From Civilian Providers

You must request a copy of your medical records from each individual health care provider you have visited. You may be responsible for any fees charged for copying or mailing medical records.

Active duty service members are not responsible for any fees charged for copying or mailing medical records

Some parts of your medical record can also be accessed via the "Blue Button" on the TRICARE On-Line website.

For Additional information and assistance, please contact Fort Drum MEDDAC Patient Administrative Division at (315) 772-4030.