Weather holds for 1st outdoor Twilight Tattoo of the season
By Courtney DockMay 19, 2016
The Honorable Patrick Murphy, Acting Secretary of the Army hosted Twilight Tattoo May 18, 2016. The show was the first performance of the season held outside on Summerall Field on Joint Base Myer-Henderson Hall due to weeks of rain in the nation's capital.More than 3,000 students from all over the country were in the audience to witness the action-packed performance along with various senior executives from the private and public sectors.
Murphy, an Army veteran, enjoyed watching the performance with the packed audience."When you see thousands of kids inspired by these Soldiers, and some of the corporate leaders of America here, watching our nation's best, it's hard not to be inspired," Murphy said."My favorite part was first time when the cannons went off and I saw everyone jump," he added. "It cracked me up, because I was ready for it and everyone jumps a little bit."
Murphy is the Undersecretary of the Army and was the Acting Secretary of the Army while Eric Fanning awaited confirmation. Fanning was officially sworn in as the Secretary of the Army May 18, 2016 by Secretary of Defense Ash Carter in a ceremony at the Pentagon.Twilight Tattoo is performed by Soldiers from the 3rd U.S. Infantry Regiment (The Old Guard) and the U.S. Army Band "Pershing's Own."Twilight Tattoo is a show that provides a glimpse into American history through performances by the U.S. Army Blues, the Old Guard Fife and Drum Corps, the U.S. Army Drill Team, and vocalists from the U.S. Army Band Downrange and U.S. Army Band Voices.
The 2016 Twilight Tattoo season is scheduled to run every Wednesday through Aug. 3, with the exception of July 6 and July 13. There will be no Twilight Tattoo scheduled for those two dates.
For more information visit www.twilight.mdw.army.mil.
- June 19, 2020Marching Mountain strong
- June 14, 2020West Point Class of 2020 graduates in historic ceremony
- June 11, 2020U.S. Army Japan celebrates 245th Army Birthday with competitions
- May 29, 2020Ivy Tuba Player Wins Award
- May 26, 2020Missouri National Guard major honors Samoan culture
- May 21, 2020MCoE rock band livestreams concerts
- May 21, 202010th Sustainment Brigade Soldier inducted into SAMC
- May 21, 2020Fort Leonard Wood senior leaders surprise Soldier with President’s Volunteer Service Award
- May 11, 2020New Jersey National Guard members help feed veterans
- May 7, 2020Fort Campbell MWR employees continue stellar service during COVID-19
- May 7, 2020And the band played on…
- April 22, 2020'Cause-play' - Dogface Soldier suits up as Batman to give back to community
- April 15, 2020Fort Leonard Wood Soldier enjoying her Green-to-Gold challenge
- April 14, 2020Pershings Own keeps mission going despite social constraints