There's a fire; now what? Petroleum supply students learn courses of action when fuels are aflame
By T. Anthony BellMay 5, 2016
FORT LEE, Va. (May 5, 2016) -- Much of what students learn during the Petroleum Supply Specialist Course involves the receipt, issuance and storage of petroleum products.
In the conduct of those duties, personnel must protect against the ever-present threat of fire. That's why training at the Quartermaster School's Spc. Win'e Fire Suppression Training Facility is essential. Students not only learn emergency procedures but get valuable hands-on experience that can't be replicated in a classroom, said Staff Sgt. Melvin Johnson, an instructor team chief.
"You can explain this on PowerPoint all day, but that goes right over their heads as opposed to coming out here and actually using the equipment, knowing the importance of having battle buddies, learning safety procedures and feeling the hose pressure," he said after an April 28 training session.During the two-hour familiarization, each student donned protective gear and was allowed a few minutes to man the lead position of a firefighter team tasked with suppressing a controlled fire.Roughly 50 Soldiers from Victor and Uniform companies, 262nd QM Battalion, underwent the training that occurs during the ninth of an 11-week course.
- August 7, 2020Summer Interns Broaden Their Experience, Contribute to the NTC Mission
- August 7, 2020Indiana National Guard Soldier secures cyber success
- August 6, 2020If you love what you do, you’ll never work again
- August 6, 2020Kentucky National Guardsmen conduct field artillery training at Fort Knox ranges
- August 6, 2020Pathways program welcomes 39 new students
- August 5, 2020Cadets learn to be resilient during two-week course
- August 5, 2020151st Infantry Regiment adapts training to COVID-19 pandemic
- August 3, 2020Uniquely experienced officer takes charge of 16th Ord. Bn.
- August 3, 2020Rapid Mobilization of the DOD Manufacturing Base to Solve COVID-19 Supply Shortages
- August 3, 2020DOD selects 54 grad students for research fellowships
- August 3, 2020Unit Specialist for Intelligence and Sustainment Company reenlists at Humphreys
- July 30, 2020Fort Sill Soldiers respond to vehicle fire on interstate
- July 28, 2020Army units learn wildland firefighting on JBLM