Army Announces Redstone Arsenal Large-Scale Renewable Energy Solar Project
By ASA (IE&E)April 29, 2016
WASHINGTON DC -- The Army has announced the development of an 18,000 megawatt hours per year (MWh) alternating current (AC), large-scale renewable energy solar project on Redstone Arsenal in Alabama.
The U.S. Army Office of Energy Initiatives (OEI), Redstone Arsenal, and the Army Corps of Engineers, are collaborating with the SunPower Corporation on the project.
This project is one of four large-scale renewable energy projects being developed on Army installations in Alabama. Other projects include a 25 MW Combined Heat and Power generation facility also at Redstone Arsenal, an approximate 10 MW AC solar project at Anniston Army Depot and a 10 MW AC solar project at Fort Rucker.
Redstone Arsenal has identified 66 acres on the installation for the project.
The facility will generate enough solar energy to power about 1,650 homes per year.
The Army and APC will enter into a 27-year Renewable Energy Services Agreement (RESA) for the property.
The renewable energy facility will generate fuel-free power on-site to support Redstone Arsenal and its tenants.
- August 9, 2017Rock Island Arsenal's senior commander speaks at local fair
- August 9, 2017South Carolina National Guard prepares for solar eclipse
- August 8, 2017AMC top performing employees to receive Dellamonica award
- August 8, 2017Daly pins on third-star, becomes AMC deputy commander and Redstone senior commander
- August 7, 2017AMCOM provides readiness update to AMC commander
- August 7, 2017Army Vice Chief praises Redstone workforce
- August 7, 2017Watervliet Arsenal bucks national trend of manufacturers by having robust applicant interest
- August 1, 2017Total Solar Eclipse - Are you Ready?
- July 31, 2017Historic solar eclipse comes with dangers
- July 31, 2017Arsenal adds millions to its Foreign Military Sales workload
- July 28, 2017Workforce Wednesday: Jim Thompson
- July 27, 2017Army wins big in cost savings through Value Engineering program
- July 21, 2017AMC Best Warrior competition announces 2017 winners at Redstone Arsenal luncheon
- July 21, 2017SMDC commander signs implementing arrangement with RMI
- July 19, 2017'Eyes in space' and more powerful lasers will soon enhance the Army's arsenal
- July 18, 2017Concept demonstration explores robotic aviation refueling system