Army Reserve Staff Sgt. Martin K. Richburg
By Army Public AffairsFebruary 2, 2007
Checking e-mail was never supposed to be this dangerous. On March 27, 2006, Staff Sgt. Richburg was talking to his wife on his cell phone outside an Internet cafe on a base in Iraq. As he sat there, he noticed a man approaching the cafe with a blue bag. Something about the situation seemed slightly off. Earlier that day, Richburg recalled, a suicide bomber had killed several civilians near the base's gate. Richburg watched the man place the bag on top of the cafe's air conditioner. Then the man turned and ran, but not fast enough to escape Richburg, who jumped out of his truck, chased the man down, and quickly learned that the bag held a bomb. Richburg managed to clear the building just before the bomb destroyed the entire cafe.
Richburg's actions saved the lives of 12 soldiers and five Iraqi civilians. In March 2006, he was awarded the Army Commendation Medal with a "V" and has been nominated for a Bronze Star.
- October 10, 2018Fort Knox employee encourages surrounding communities to 'Just Be Kind'
- October 9, 2018Prisoners of war from WWII, Korea and Vietnam share Clemson University stage
- September 25, 2018Final NASA Orion test at Yuma Proving Ground a rousing success
- September 25, 2018Honoring Gold Star mothers and families, Sept. 30
- September 24, 2018Technology gives medical responders more realistic chemical training
- September 22, 2018AMK9 and Mad Dog Kennels Sink their Teeth Into Obedience, Agility and Controlled Aggression
- September 21, 20183-409th OC/T's plan with support partners
- September 17, 2018Picatinny provides advanced system for accurate, efficient fires for field artillery
- September 17, 2018ASG-A Commander Partners with Afghan Counterpart
- September 14, 2018All-Army men's softball team selection made
- September 14, 2018Benelux community runs to remember and honor 9/11 victims and their families
- September 12, 2018Porton Man Does the Dirty Work
- September 11, 2018Wisconsin Guard Black Hawk crew rescues stranded kayakers
- September 10, 2018Bulldog Brigade: A fighter's story
- September 7, 2018Human Resources Command NCO awarded Soldier's Medal for saving man from burning truck
- September 4, 2018Pacific storm turns summer training mission into real world support for Oregon Airmen