Army Reserve Staff Sgt. Martin K. Richburg
By Army Public AffairsFebruary 2, 2007
Checking e-mail was never supposed to be this dangerous. On March 27, 2006, Staff Sgt. Richburg was talking to his wife on his cell phone outside an Internet cafe on a base in Iraq. As he sat there, he noticed a man approaching the cafe with a blue bag. Something about the situation seemed slightly off. Earlier that day, Richburg recalled, a suicide bomber had killed several civilians near the base's gate. Richburg watched the man place the bag on top of the cafe's air conditioner. Then the man turned and ran, but not fast enough to escape Richburg, who jumped out of his truck, chased the man down, and quickly learned that the bag held a bomb. Richburg managed to clear the building just before the bomb destroyed the entire cafe.
Richburg's actions saved the lives of 12 soldiers and five Iraqi civilians. In March 2006, he was awarded the Army Commendation Medal with a "V" and has been nominated for a Bronze Star.
- August 9, 2018Lt. Gen. Twitty relinquishes command of First Army
- August 9, 2018Down one, Hawks fly into second
- August 7, 2018Army engineers to battle Western wildfires
- August 1, 2018Happy birthday, Coast Guard
- July 28, 2018Baggage Detail
- July 26, 2018Materiel enterprise architect designs facilities for future
- July 25, 2018The Army's Communications-Electronics Center honors Manning during SES promotion
- July 25, 2018Critical Thinking: Doctor's patience yields new diabetes treatment and approach
- July 23, 201882nd Airborne Division holds readiness exercise
- July 20, 2018U.S. Army to compete in live streamed esports tournament
- July 19, 2018Knox lifeguard saves young boy's life at post waterpark
- July 18, 2018Exploring Soldier performance 'at both ends of the barrel'
- July 16, 2018Army researchers advance ice making system
- July 9, 2018NY National Guard's 27th Division suffered 1st WWI combat death on July 13, 1918
- July 5, 2018New older Air Assault graduates give advice for overcoming the obstacle of age
- June 29, 2018Key in on men's health