Lt. Col. Brian E. Winski
By Army Public AffairsFebruary 2, 2007
On the night of Sept. 13, 2006, Lt. Col. Winski led a team to capture a high-value terrorist leader east of Baghdad. As the group approached its target, insurgents opened fire, crippling one of the vehicles. Paying no attention to the gunshots exploding around him, Winski drove to the immobilized vehicle, hooked chains around it, and pulled it to safety. As the ground commander of the raid, Winski was not done: he had to keep his scattered men focused on the mission and aware of their surroundings and enemies. Under fire, Winski moved from position to position to gather first-hand information to lead a counterattack. While he gleaned information from one part of his team, two insurgents approached; Winski and his team killed them.
By this point, the enemies had surrounded themselves with civilians to use as shields. Ever mindful of the civilians, Winski directed an air response to support the mission on the ground. By the end of the 90-minute firefight, Winski and his team had killed at least 11 insurgents and forced the rest to flee. For his leadership and actions, Winski received the Bronze Star with "V" in September 2006.
- December 7, 2017Coalition forces participate in GAFPB
- December 4, 2017Combat Advising Never Gets Old for this 1st SFAB Infantryman
- November 30, 2017State-of-the-art visual models will enhance warfighter capabilities
- November 20, 2017USMA-West Point Receives a Bronze Medal at iGEM Giant Jamboree Competition
- November 20, 2017Outside the Wire: Intel Analysts in Army's 1st SFAB get career-building opportunity
- November 17, 2017Ghost Brigade Soldiers hone war-fighting skills at YTC
- November 17, 2017Rakkasans build squad-level proficiency at live-fire range
- November 16, 2017Campaign to defeat ISIS deprives enemy of safe havens, OIR Army spokesman says
- November 10, 2017Ghost Brigade Soldiers learn counter jamming techniques
- November 9, 2017Brostrom's Challenge, for the "Chosen Few"
- November 7, 20174th Cav MFTB Soldiers make gunnery a success
- October 30, 2017IDENTIFY. QUANTIFY. ELIMINATE.
- October 30, 2017Guardman-designed communications trailer debuts at Southern Strike 18
- October 23, 2017Explosives training helps 1st SFAB Soldiers focus on unit's mission
- October 23, 2017Army's motarmen bring the firepower to the infantry
- October 19, 2017Army Aviation's pursuit of Pancho Villa full of lessons