Getting Here:

Directions to Fort Wainwright, Alaska

Traveling by Airplane to Fairbanks

If you are flying to Fairbanks and do not have transportation to Fort Wainwright arranged, please look for the Armed Forces YMCA Lounge. It is located in the baggage claims area of the Fairbanks International Airport. This lounge is for military use only and may be used to call Fort Wainwright Military Personnel Division at the Fort Wainwright Welcome Center, Building 3401, Santiago Avenue, Fort Wainwright, Alaska. Please call the Welcome Center at 907-353-2273/2253 for a ride to Fort Wainwright. If no one answers, please call the 1st/ 25th Styker Brigade Emerency Contact at 907-353-6666/1111 for instructions.

Taxi Service

You may request ground transportation to billeting for you and/or your family. However, you should be prepared to take a taxi from the airport to the Fort Wainwright Welcome Center, Building #3401, to sign in and then you and your family may go to Northern Lights Lodging. You may also choose to make arrangements with you sponsor in advance. Taxi fare is approximately $30.00 to get from the airport to the Welcome Center. Depending on the level of security, taxi service may only be available as far as the main gate. From there you should contact Military Personnel Division and someone will be sent to pick you up and give you a ride to the Welcome center. There is a military lounge, compliments of the Armed Services YMCA, located in the baggage claim area of the airport that you may utilize while you are waiting to be picked up.

Traveling by Ferry

If you are considering taking the Alaska Marine Highway System (AMHS)(Ferry), contact your local Transportation Office for details. The Ferry boards in Bellingham, Washington and departs in Haines, Alaska. Haines, Alaska to Fort Wainwright is still an additional 661 miles. You will have to travel from Alaska into Canada and back into Alaska. So you will need your orders, photo ID and birth certificates for your children. Passports will be required as of 1 June, 2008 for travel through Canada. Military Personnel Division at your losing installation is required to provide you with passport information.

Traveling through Canada/ALCAN

If you are traveling the Alaska/Canadian (ALCAN) Highway, you will be awed by the beautiful scenery and wildlife along the way. This can be a wonderful adventure for a military family, but there are a few things to be aware of to make the trip more enjoyable. Make sure your PCS orders state that you are authorized to travel the ALCAN and Alaska Marine Highway System (AMHS) if you are going to be using both. If you deviate from your travel plan, you will need to have your orders amended. Even if you have your orders amended, you still may not receive travel pay to reimburse all your travel expenses.

What to do when you arrive at the Installation Gate

Upon arrival at the Fort Wainwright gate, proceed to the Visitor Center located to the right before entering the Fort Wainwright gate. You will need a copy of your orders, your military ID card, driver's license, current vehicle registration and proof of insurance to acquire a Fort Wainwright vehicle pass. You will need to request a Fort Wainwright map and ask for directions to the Fort Wainwright Welcome Center, Building 3401, Santiago Avenue where you must sign in with Military Personnel Division. If you have any questions, you may call the Welcome Center at 907-353-2273.

Shipping your POV

If you plan on shipping a vehicle to Fort Wainwright/Fairbanks, Alaska between October and April or plan on shipping the vehicle earlier with the intentions of the vehicle arriving between October and April the vehicle must have anti-freeze protection to -60F. The vehicle should also have a strong battery.

Planning Ahead when Driving

Plan ahead for gas stops, lodging or camping and rest stops. There can be many miles between these but careful planning can greatly reduce the risk of being stranded. Be aware that roads may be rough due to frost heaves. There are areas where dirt roads and highway maintenance will slow your travel and the possibility of gravel hitting, chipping or breaking your windshield is high. Don't follow other vehicles too closely. Be prepared for most minor vehicle repairs such as flat tires or broken belts. Emergency gear in your vehicle can help you to avoid dangerous situations if you break down. Weather in some areas can change drastically in a very short time, even during the summer months. Make sure you have appropriate clothing and supplies.


All officers and enlisted soldiers must report to the Welcome Center on arrival. The Personnel Center is located at Santiago Ave Bldg Number 3401. You can reach them at 907-353-2273 or DSN 353-2273.

You can expect to be with the detachment for 5 days. When you get signed in, you will receive a billeting assignment, bedding and a temporary meal card if you are not on separate rations. If your family arrives with you, the Northern Lights Inn will help make them comfortable during your inprocessing. To make things easier with attaining temporary housing for your family, please make reservations at the Northern Lights Inn. (907)353-3800.

You should have all of your personal records on hand. Personnel, Finance, Medical and Dental. You must be in uniform to inprocess. The duty uniform at Fort Wainwright, AK is ACU. Be sure that you have enough uniforms with you to begin duties after inprocessing.

Housing Office/Government Housing

Housing Services Office

3401 Santiago Avenue

Building 3401 Santiago Avenue, First Floor

Fort Wainwright, AK 99703

Phone 907-353-1190 / 907-353-1660/1666

Phone (DSN) 317-353-1660/1666

Mon -- Wed & Fri 7:30 a.m. -- 4:30 p.m.

Thu 1:00 p.m. -- 4:30 p.m.

Sat, Sun & Holidays - closed

Family Housing

Privatized Housing (On Post)

Fort Wainwright has more than 1,500 Privatized Housing Units located on post. The majority are within walking distance of elementary schools, the AAFES Shoppette, child care center and chapels. Depending on the number of PCS rotations and size of families departing, the wait for housing can be from two months to a year. Typically, more than one-third of families assigned to Fort Wainwright reside off post in the Fairbanks and North Star Borough area for part of their tour of duty. The DoD policy of raising BAH rates to eliminate most out-of-pocket expenses for rental housing has greatly improved the ability of all ranks to obtain adequate, affordable, off-post housing. However, the vacancy rate is very seasonal and rental units become more expensive and difficult to obtain during the summer months.

Application and Eligibility

Service members may apply for housing by contacting North Haven Communities at 907-356-1881 or in person at the North Haven Office located in Building 3401, Santiago Road, first floor. Adjustments to eligibility dates for time in transit and temporary duty en route are made during the application process. Copies of all orders since departing the last primary duty station are needed for completion of the application. The wait for on-post housing tends to change seasonally.

Housing Units are either two, three, four or five bedrooms. Most units are two-story four to eight-plexes, while field grade officer housing features duplexes and single family houses.

Single Service Member Housing

On-post housing is usually available for single personnel classified as bonafide bachelors (eligible for BAQ at the without dependent rate) arriving at Fort Wainwright. If quarters are not immediately available within 10 days of arrival, permission for renting off post will probably be approved. The waiting list time frames are subject to constant change. Be sure that you have the most updated information. It is suggested that sixty (60) days prior to your arrival, you call the housing office or check the web site. Single soldiers (E-6 and below) without family members may report to Housing on Day 1 or 2 of In-processing. Single, E-6 and above must report to Housing with a Quarters Application.



Housing residents are allowed to have only two pets living with them that do not live in cages (i.e. dogs and cats). USARAK requires all pets which are maintained in government quarters to be registered with the veterinary service within five working days of arrival on the post. A current certificate of rabies immunization for each dog and cat over 3 months of age must be presented at the time of registration.

Related Links:

Additional Housing

Northern Lights Inn

Milepost Map Book