Army Announces Fort Rucker Large-Scale Renewable Energy Solar Project
By ASA (IE&E)April 21, 2016
WASHINGTON -- The Army has announced the development of a 10 megawatt (MW) alternating current (AC), large-scale renewable energy solar project at Fort Rucker in Alabama.
The U.S. Army Office of Energy Initiatives (OEI), Fort Rucker, the Mission and Installation Contracting Command (MICC), and the General Services Administration (GSA), are collaborating with the Alabama Power Company (APC) on the project.
This project is one of four large-scale renewable energy projects being developed on Army installations in Alabama. Other projects include an 18,000 MW hours per year solar project and a 25 MW Combined Heat and Power generation facility at Redstone Arsenal, and a 10 MW AC solar project at Anniston Army Depot.
Fort Rucker has identified 90 acres on the installation for the project.
The facility will generate enough solar energy to power about 1,600 homes per year.
The Army and APC will enter into a 30-year easement for the property.
Fort Rucker will continue to procure power from APC through an existing GSA Area wide contract.
APC, owned by Southern Company, will develop, finance, design, install, own, operate, and maintain the large-scale renewable energy solar project.
The project is expected to be operational by Fall 2016.
- February 14, 2020Fort Rucker ups game in support of Aviation, quality of life for Soldiers, families
- February 13, 2020Fort Rucker hosted TRADOC Commanders Forum
- February 10, 2020Veterans newly eligible for services still subject to installation access procedures
- February 6, 2020Order your Earth Day posters by February 21
- January 30, 2020Fort Knox's Energy Program honing in on more resilience efforts toward possible independence
- January 27, 2020257 years -- 9 Soldiers, 1 civilian retire during quarterly Fort Rucker ceremony
- January 24, 2020A+ -- Preview of new Fort Rucker elementary school impresses local spouses
- January 17, 2020Tax center set to offer free preparation services
- January 16, 2020Training a Division Headquarters for Base Defense and Convoy Live Fire
- January 6, 2020Army introduces weld automation for next generation combat vehicles
- December 31, 2019Fort Knox DPW: Don't get burned by space heaters
- December 17, 2019Hazardous land used during Atomic Age has green future
- December 12, 2019Fort Knox prepares to say farewell to DPW director behind DOD, Department of Energy fame
- December 2, 2019Army scientist focuses on biomass-to-energy research
- November 26, 2019Real-world energy outage demonstrates effectiveness of Fort Knox power resilience plans
- November 26, 2019Fort Rucker leadership hosts housing town hall, vows continuous improvement