Youth Sports and Girl Scouts team-up to provide ski fitness challenge
By Melanie Kincaid, Camp Zama Girl ScoutsMarch 16, 2016
CAMP ZAMA, Japan (March 17, 2015) -- Eighteen girls from Camp Zama participated in a fitness challenge March 5 and 6 at the slopes of Shiga Kogen, Nagano -- it was a weekend full of first ski and snowboard experiences for many of the girls attending.
The weekend encouraged the girls to push themselves on the slopes while also learning new things.Day one brought lessons and coaching from Camp Zama's Youth Sports volunteers and from Girl Scout leaders on the second day."I spent my weekend teaching young girls how to snowboard," said Sheyenne Sullivan, a Youth Sports volunteer and Girl Scout leader. "They are so eager to learn! Watching them to continue to get back up again and again is amazing."The program, ran by Camp Zama's Child, Youth and School Services, is a new girl-specific type of activity; it was developed with the input from Camp Zama Girl Scouts, said Melanie Kincaid, overseas committee chair administrator for CZ Girls Scouts."Adventure activities for the Girl Scouts is limited due to price, transportation, and knowledge of the surrounding areas," said Kincaid, "CYSS listened to the challenges we face and put together a program that benefit all Camp Zama girls."
Camp Zama's Youth Sports offers several adventure activity programs throughout the year that are focused on girl-only activities, said Kincaid. The continued feedback from Camp Zama Girl Scouts keeps the program focused on activities that girls desire and look forward to experiencing.
- June 1, 2020Fort Knox Youth creates innovative five-week virtual exercise regimen
- June 1, 2020Camp Zama medical translator pays it forward, assists English-speaking patients in Japan
- June 1, 2020Zama Middle High School celebrates modified prom
- May 29, 2020Camp Zama hosts Navy aviators from Atsugi
- May 28, 2020West Point youth impresses, earns post BGCA Youth of the Year
- May 28, 2020Camp Zama BOSS beautifies park with JGSDF members
- May 28, 2020Camp Zama BOSS beautifies park with JGSDF soldiers
- May 27, 2020Class of 2020 starts returning to West Point for out-processing, graduation
- May 27, 2020Family nurse practitioner gives back to Army in face of COVID-19
- May 26, 2020MWR childcare reopens in Phase 1
- May 21, 2020Retiring Camp Zama teacher reflects on 33 years of service
- May 19, 2020Michigan YCA completes class despite COVID-19 obstacles
- May 19, 2020Camp Zama celebrates National Day of Prayer with drive-in service
- May 14, 2020Camp Zama Army Wellness Center keeps up mission
- May 8, 2020Baby girl surprises Army family