The U.S. Government and Department of Defense offer a variety of scholarships to provide educational assistance to high school, college and graduate students. These programs are designed to support undergraduate and graduate students pursuing degrees in Science, Technology, Engineering, and Mathematics, or STEM, disciplines.
The goal is to increase the number of civilian scientists and engineers working at DOD laboratories. There are scholarship programs for high school students who intend to pursue an undergraduate degree in the STEM field as well as college students pursuing advanced degrees in STEM.
These "Scholarship for Service" programs guarantee employment with DOD laboratories upon successful completion of the scholarship degree.
Participants in the DOD Scholarship for Service Programs receive:
* Full tuition and education related fees (does not include items such as meal plans, housing, or parking)
* Stipend paid to the student depending on degree pursuing (may be prorated depending on award length)
* Summer research internships
* Health Insurance for each calendar year of the award
* Miscellaneous Supplies Allowance for each academic year of the award