FORT LEE, Va. (September 29, 2015) -- October represents the unofficial start of the holiday season for commissary customers who want to see store promotions, giveaways and more opportunities for discounts beyond their usual 30 percent or more savings, said the Defense Commissary Agency's director of sales.
"Whether it is celebrating Oktoberfest with friends or saluting friends and families from afar with a big, plump, roasted turkey, your commissary wants you to know we are here for you with extra savings and great opportunities to enhance your commissary benefit," said Tracie Russ, DeCA sales director.
Russ is also reminding commissary patrons to check out their stores' fresh produce section for coupon bundles offering even more savings, especially for events such as National Apple Month.
Throughout October, DeCA's industry partners -- vendors, suppliers and brokers -- are collaborating with commissaries to offer discounts beyond everyday savings. Overseas stores may have substitute events for certain promotional programs. Customers are asked to check their local commissary for details on dates and times for the following promotions:
- "Drink To Pink." In recognition of Breast Cancer Awareness Month, Apple and Eve's Northland brand is donating 25 cents per bottle up to $25,000 for product sold Oct. 1-31. All proceeds will go to the Breast Cancer Research Fund. There will also be a $1-off coupon for the purchase of two bottles. Look for mass pink displays in your local stateside commissary.
- Halloween treats. There is still a lot of Halloween candy to be purchased before Hallow's Eve. Look for the "frightening" displays at your local commissary.
- Oktoberfest! Through mid-October, commissary customers can find in-store displays and coupons for imported items from Germany and other European countries. A full line of German products are available, including chocolates, cookies, sauerkraut, mustard, red cabbage, pickles, noodles, coffee and more. Guten Appetit!
- Kraft Foods Group Tailgate Savings. Kraft is offering "Hot Deals" on key tailgating products from Oct. 19 to Nov. 1 worldwide. They will be providing a "Buy 6, save $5" tear pad on all tailgating essentials (100,000 in circulation). In addition, Kraft is providing over 100,000 coupons and recipe offers, $25 Commissary Gift Cards and over 800,000 high-value coupons.
- "Italian & American Festival of Savings" Oct. 7-21 worldwide. There will be in-store coupon flyers and mass displays on Unilever brands such as Hellmann's/Best Foods, Lipton, Knorr and Breyers as well as personal care brands including Dove, St. Ives, Vaseline, Q-Tips and Tresemme.
- "We Honor and Thank You for All That You Do." Oct. 7-21, General Mills will provide in-store, special-themed mass displays offering shoppers high-value in-store coupons in addition to online Commissary Rewards Card coupons.
"Believe in Heroes." Beginning Oct. 22, this cause promotion will be supported by 300,000 high-value coupon flyers distributed worldwide. During the event, participating brands will provide a donation to the Wounded Warrior Project. "Believe in Heroes" was created in 2010 to help support a new generation of injured service members. Look for "Believe in Heroes" mass displays in commissaries worldwide.
- Thanksgiving holiday meal. Start asking for the free Turkey Coupon Booklet around the last week of October. Commissary customers worldwide will be able to use high-value coupons in order to receive a free Thanksgiving turkey. The booklet will also include preparation tips and holiday recipes. Supplies of these booklets worldwide will be limited. Check out their customized turkey website at www.mymilitarysavings.com.
"The fall season is a busy time for the commissaries," Russ said. "We're offering daily specials throughout the stores and seasonal club packs at great savings for the upcoming holidays. And, if you don't have your Commissary Rewards Card yet, get one now from your local commissary. You could be missing out on some really great deals and giveaways."