No tall tale
By Staff Sgt. Mark A. Moore IISeptember 15, 2015
Hooking the near 40 inch fish after only a few casts came as a surprise to both OMeara and Kormanyos as the average cast-to-catch ratio is 10,000 to 1, giving the fish its nickname the "10,000 cast fish."
Initially OMeara though his lure was snagged on an obstruction beneath the water.
"It was like reeling in a log," exclaimed OMeara. "Dave was so excited he didn't know what to do, he was just happy that I knew to keep the line above the engine so it wouldn't snap on our propeller."
For his accomplishments OMeara was presented a professionally painted oil-on-canvas that depicts a Muskie leaping from a river.
"There is nothing like the way our North Country community supports all of their military service members past and present," explained OMeara. "It's a great place to be stationed especially if you're an outdoors man. There are so many activities for the military and their families to enjoy over the weekends."
The annual event is fully funded by American Legion Post 514, the surrounding area, and is open to all Soldiers, veterans, and their Family members.
The next tournament is tentatively scheduled for August of 2016.
- June 22, 2020COVID-19 conditions create sniper school opportunities for new infantry troops
- May 21, 2020Natural resources stun, transplant game fish
- May 21, 2020Discover the fish of Fort Leonard Wood
- May 13, 2020MacArthur awardee proud of Asian-Pacific heritage
- May 11, 2020Thousands of rainbow trout stocked at Fort McCoy in time for 2020 fishing season
- May 7, 2020A WAR AT HOME: Army aids NYC caregivers in battle against COVID-19 stress
- May 4, 2020Maryland Guardsman stands tall against COVID-19
- May 1, 2020iSportsman adds layer of safety
- February 12, 2020BAMC Fisher House hosts its first ever gender reveal party
- February 6, 2020Diligence helps catch the goal of safety
- January 17, 2020USACE fish biologists look forward to 2020 sampling season
- January 9, 2020Buffalo District and D'Youville College teach students to get their hands dirty
- November 26, 2019Thorne Lane bridge construction brings overnight I-5 closures in early December
- November 13, 2019Depot upgrades water supply, installs new tanks