Camp Zama's couples attend seminar, strengthen bonds of marriage
By Noriko Kudo, U.S. Army Garrison Japan Public AffairsSeptember 10, 2014
CAMP ZAMA, Japan (Sept. 10, 2014) -- Several of Camp Zama's married community members attended the "Whole Hearted Marriage" seminar held Sept. 5 to 7 at the Camp Zama Community Club, in order to learn ways to strengthen their marriages.Five sessions were conducted throughout the seminar; the wholehearted marriage, conflict management and resolution, personal responsibility, communication and tackling difficulties.Guest speaker, Dr. Greg Smalley, vice president of Focus on the Family said, the take-away is for the attendees to learn is that everybody's (marriage) is going to have conflict.
"It is not a sign that your marriage is bad or something is wrong," said Smalley.Staff Sgt. Wynetra Jones, assigned to 35th Combat Sustainment Support Battalion, said she learned the "win-win technique.""You need to focus on not trying to win against your spouse. You (and your spouse) are team so everybody should win," said Jones.Capt. Samuel Sellers, assigned to 78th Signal Battalion and his spouse Shelby Sellers, said they learned that "there is no ideal marriage or perfect marriage.""You just have to figure out what success looks like to you and your spouse," said Capt. Sellers.Erin Smalley, Dr. Smalley's wife and the other guest speaker for the seminar, said that it is important to make sure that each partner in a marriage takes care of the other."(Spouses) have to be well taking care of in order for them to hold a fort together," said Erin.
- March 26, 2020First Army senior NCO cooks up winning formula
- March 25, 2020USAMMC-K plays key role in fight against COVID-19 in Korea
- March 25, 2020USAISEC expertise powers cutting-edge 2nd Infantry Division cyber operations center
- March 25, 2020Camp Zama Youth Center’s Keystone Club donates canned goods
- March 23, 2020Camp Zama’s new obstacle course provides Soldiers alternate PT option
- March 20, 2020Army EOD Soldiers train with civilian counterparts at Raven’s Challenge
- March 19, 2020FLW PAO wins AMC, IMCOM awards
- March 19, 2020Women’s History Month 2020: Valiant Women of the Vote
- March 18, 2020Groundwater Restoration Goals are Achieved at Camp Edwards
- March 18, 2020U.S. Army rolls out new medical-training mannequins
- March 18, 2020Survivors find easier access to Army installations
- March 18, 2020Camp Zama housing inspectors ensure safe, clean, comfortable homes
- March 12, 2020Camp Humphreys Provost Marshal awards "Officer of the Month"
- March 12, 2020Fort Leavenworth Garrison Town Hall focuses on inbound students, families
- March 10, 20201st TSC volunteer recognized for her support to First Team families
- March 8, 2020Directorate of Human Resources implements new program for military families