Soldiers Update: Medal of Honor Ryan Pitts
By U.S. ArmyJune 30, 2014
On July 21, 2014 President Barack Obama will award Ryan Pitts, a former active duty Army Staff Sergeant the Medal of Honor.
Ryan talks about a bracelet he was wearing when his patrol base was overrun by enemy insurgents.
Ryan Pitts: Everything that I've had that I've gotten back from that day I've kept…Yeah, so it's kind of a military tradition and I don't think it's just for the Army.
We call them KIA bracelets and it's just a bracelet with the guys that have fallen to remember them… and it's for us, and on that day I had two, there was one underneath that had the names of guys from both our first deployment and then guys that were from 1st platoon, our 1st platoon Chosen Company that were killed in November.
On top of that I had a bracelet of Sergeant Kahler. I had them both taped together and I was wearing it that day and it actually kept shrapnel from going through my right wrist and I don't like to speculate but it probably helped me keep full function my right hand and I still have it and you can see where the shrapnel hit it and where it penetrated the top bracelet but almost went through the bottom, but didn't.
I haven't worn it since just because it's more of a memorial to me than to wear it.
- December 14, 2017WORLD-CLASS TECHNOLOGY, ACCORDING TO PLAN
- December 12, 20174ID kicks off centennial
- December 5, 2017Army installations team up with communities in beneficial partnerships
- November 21, 2017Outside the wire: Intelligence analysts in Army's 1st SFAB get invaluable, rewarding experience
- November 16, 2017New Civilian Aide to the Secretary of the Army invested - Pascoe
- November 16, 2017New Civilian Aide to the Secretary of the Army invested - Blehm
- November 16, 2017Campaign to defeat ISIS deprives enemy of safe havens, OIR Army spokesman says
- November 13, 2017Modernization turnaround worth the effort, says acting SecArmy McCarthy
- November 8, 2017RHC-P soldiers compete and excel at Army's Best Medic Competition
- November 8, 2017Mr. Ryan A. Fisher, Acting Assistant Secretary of the Army (Civil Works)
- November 6, 2017Soldier-linguist and Afghan native fulfills his American Dream
- October 30, 2017Leader perspective: MICC powerful in mission, operational success
- October 20, 2017Acting secretary's speech at AUSA Congressional Staffer Breakfast
- October 20, 2017Acting Secretary of Army visits Puerto Rico, assesses damage, visits Soldiers
- October 13, 2017Cross-functional teams to spearhead modernization, says McCarthy