June 6, 2014 -- Under SecArmy Carson's remarks during the 239th Army Birthday kick-off event (NDU)
By Lt. Col. Rob Manning, Under SecArmy Public AffairsJune 17, 2014
June 6, 2014: HON Carson's remarks (abbreviated) during the 239th Army Birthday kick-off event (National Defense University)239th Army Birthday Theme: "America's Army: Our Profession"
-------------------------------**Abbreviated Remarks:As an institution we admire the attributes of humility and selfless serviceBut as we approach the Army's Birthday, it is imperative that we take pride in and reflect on how far we have come in our 239 year history.Since our humble beginnings in 1775, when the Continental Congress assumed command of the "Troops of the United Provinces' of North America", our Army has influenced the Nation and the World.From the small national force combined with the state militias' citizen soldiers that helped give birth to a new nation, winning our freedom and establishing the tradition of subordinating the military to civilian authority...to the force that grew to 89 divisions in 1945 and sent millions of regulars and "citizen soldiers" to, as it is inscribed on the WWII Memorial flag posts, "to liberate, not to conquer, to restore freedom and to end tyranny"...to the All Volunteer Force that adapted to the changing face of warfare and fought our nation's longest war during the past 13 years.Our Army has always provided our country with the ability to preserve and protect peace, prosperity and liberty both at home and abroad, firmly establishing the United States as a global power.And as a global power, I would argue that not only is our country the most important nation in the world, but that our Army is the most important institution in the world.And what makes our Army the most important institution is it people. Its families, is civilians and most important, its soldiers.Thank you….and may God bless the United States Army.
-------------------------------Additional information about the Army's 239th Birthday is located at www.army.mil/birthday/239.
- August 11, 2020SCNG hosts 1st virtual Basic Leadership Course
- August 10, 2020Army CID Major Cybercrime Unit warns rental scams on the rise
- August 10, 2020Fort Drum unit plays key role in protecting America from ICBMs
- August 7, 2020The 311th Signal Command (Theater) Earns Army Superior Unit Award
- August 3, 2020Unit Specialist for Intelligence and Sustainment Company reenlists at Humphreys
- July 31, 2020Transportation Corps, 58th Trans. Bn. observe anniversaries one day apart
- July 31, 2020USAG Bavaria recognizes 700 volunteers
- July 29, 2020One 'good start' gives rise to another
- July 28, 2020Army units learn wildland firefighting on JBLM
- July 28, 2020“Growing Through Adversity” premiere - release of the U.S. Army Chaplain Corps’ first Strong Bonds film
- July 27, 2020Cyber Response is a Team Effort
- July 22, 2020Fort Leonard Wood chaplains reflect on 245th anniversary of Chaplain Corps
- July 17, 2020USAG Bavaria ACS recognizes community volunteers in honor of 55 years of service
- July 13, 2020MSCoE Sends: Living the Army Profession