To everything, a season: Wildcat deputy commander retires
By Sgt. 1st Class Joel QuebecMay 27, 2014
FORT JACKSON, S.C. -- The 81st Regional Support Command hosted a retirement ceremony for Brig. Gen. William Gothard at Darby Field on Fort Jackson, May 17.
"Brig. Gen. Gothard has served our Army and nation with great distinction over the past 36 years and played a central role in the transformation of the Army Reserve from a strategic reserve into an operational force," said the 81st RSC commanding general, Maj. Gen. Gill Beck, who hosted the ceremony. "His legacy will live on the hundreds of Army Reserve leaders he has developed and inspired."
Gothard finishes his military career as the 81st RSC deputy commanding general. He retires with 36 years of Army service, spending the last three years in his final position. He was selected for promotion to brigadier general and command of the 353rd Civil Affairs Command in 2007. Other past assignments include serving in the Republic of Panama with the 7th Special Forces Group (Airborne) as a detachment commander, company commander and assistant operations officer from 2000 to 2002, and as the first deputy commanding general (Support) and Chief of Staff for United States Army Reserve in 2010.A portion of Gothard's speech include a biblical passage from Ecclesiastes, made famous in a song entitled, "Turn, Turn, Turn.""'To everything there is a season,'" he read. "'A time for war and a time for peace.' Today my season has run, it is now my time for peace."Gothard referred to the Soldiers present bedrock of the nation and charged them to be vigilant caretakers of the institution of the Profession of Arms.
Gothard's service to the Army will continue in his civilian capacity as science and technology manager for the Science and Technology Division of Army Special Operations Command at Fort. Bragg, N.C.
"Now the reconnaissance is completed," he concluded. "Just ahead is a fork in the trail where your mission and mine part ways."
- September 25, 2020U.S. Army STAND-TO! | STARRS - Longitudinal Study
- September 1, 2020Army announcement on Fort Hood leadership
- August 21, 2020Army announces its service component command for U.S. Space Command
- May 12, 2020U.S. Army Cadet Command makes changes to summer training programs in response to COVID-19
- September 12, 2019CSM Michael Grinston selected as 16th Sergeant Major of the Army
- September 12, 2019September 2017 Nominative Sergeants Major Assignments
- September 12, 2019PCS Week offers info for a successful PCS move
- September 12, 2019Department of the Army announces 3rd Armored Brigade Combat Team, 1st Cavalry Division deploy
- September 12, 2019Army Medical Command Releases First Ever Health Of The Force Report
- September 12, 2019TWO BRIGADES FROM 4TH INFANTRY DIVISION TO DEPLOY TO AFGHANISTAN