Army War College educates FA 59 Army Strategists
By Lt. Col. Lindan A. MoyaApril 16, 2014
April 11, 2014 -- Thirteen officers became the Army's newest strategic experts, able to contribute immediately in their next assignment, having graduated from the 14-week long Basic Strategic Art Program at the Army War College today.
Successful completion of BSAP awards the functional area 59, Strategist, typically to field grade officers. This most recent class consisted of one lieutenant colonel, 10 majors and two captains, and included officers from the active component, National Guard and Army Reserve.
"I need you to own '59'," said Maj. Gen. Tony Cucolo, Army War College Commandant who gave the keynote address at graduation. The Chief of Staff of the Army has his eyes on this proponency and recognizes your value, said Cucolo.
We need 59's with moral courage, who can say what must be said, even if it requires more work. This means operating with a certain degree of professional risk, said Cucolo.
The Army War College sponsors the Functional Area 59 course for field grade officers. Lt. Col. Mike Shekleton, course director said the course is offered three times a year with the ability to graduate 48 officers each year.
BSAP serves as the foundational education that allows FA 59 officers to serve successfully throughout the Army and Joint Force from Division through Combatant Command. The program consists of seminar discussions, guest speaker events, staff rides, and a capstone planning exercise.
- April 1, 2020Secretary of the Army Visits FedEx Screening Site
- April 1, 2020War Wagon’s all-female team supports COVID-19 response
- March 27, 2020Fort McCoy DPW Housing Division dedicated to customer satisfaction
- March 27, 2020Commissaries in a war zone
- March 27, 2020Hello Girls of World War I
- March 25, 2020Life in quarantine: A family perspective on West Point
- March 25, 2020Office 365 transition helps West Point adapt during COVID-19
- March 25, 2020Fort Knox COVID-19 ‘call to prayer’ planned for March 26
- March 25, 2020Fort Knox prepares quarantine, isolation ‘places of respite’ for those moving here or returning
- March 25, 2020USAISEC expertise powers cutting-edge 2nd Infantry Division cyber operations center
- March 20, 2020First Army officer hits the right notes
- March 19, 2020Fort Belvoir contracting office moves closer to ACWS pilot
- March 12, 2020Team refines JNN overhaul procedures, saves time
- March 12, 2020Vietnam firebase takes shape at artillery museum
- March 11, 2020War Eagles Win Back-to-Back Basketball Championships
- March 11, 2020New Jersey's top recruiter finds inspiration in art