Legal Office / JAG

Provide professional, ethical, accurate, and timely legal advice and services to the commanders, Soldiers, family members, and qualified civilian employees of the USAG-Humphreys Area III Community.

Make an Appointment!

You can make an appointment for legal assistance:

(1) By Phone (DSN 753-6245 or COM 82-31-690-8245), or

(2) In Person (Bldg. S-578)

When making an appointment, please provide us with the following: Name, Topic for which you require assistance, Phone number and email address that we can reach you at and the names of other persons involved in the issue (if any).

Eligibility Requirements

Para. 2-5 of AR 27-3 states who is eligible for legal assistance services. Persons normally eligible include service members on active duty and their dependents, retired or disabled service members and their dependents.

While overseas, DoD civilians and their dependents are also eligible.

Proof of eligibility is required upon appointment scheduling or arrival (i.e. military identification card). If you have questions regarding your eligibility, please contact us or check out AR 27-3 for more information

What to Bring to Your Appointment

• Your military identification card

• Any and all documents related to the issue that you are seeking legal assistance for. For example, if you want to receive the 6% interest cap under the Service members Civil Relief Act of 2003, we suggest that you bring:

• Creditor name and mailing address

• Account number and current interest rate

Services Provided

Legal Advice: Legal Assistance matters such as; Divorce/Separation, Adoption, Military Support Obligation, Child Support, Tenant/Landlord issues, SCRA, Immigration/Naturalization, Dependency, Bankruptcy, Child Custody, Tax Questions, Bar to Re-Enlistment, FLIPL & GOMOR Defense, etc.

Document Preparation: Power of Attorney (Special or General), Affidavit, Will Documents, Separation Agreements

Power of Attorney: Document to allow someone to perform an action on your behalf, with you being present. A Special Power of Attorney allows an individual to perform a specific action during your absence. A General Power of Attorney allows an individual to perform ANY action during your absence. (Note: General Power of Attorney documents can be used anywhere, making them harder to revoke. Also, some establishments may refuse to accept them because they are so broad.)

Affidavit: Can be used to establish the location of your dependants for BAH purposes. (Usually requested by the Finance Office)

Notarization Services: A notary is available during business hours on a walk-in basis. Original signatures MUST be notarized, so please do not sign any documents until you are in the presence of a notary. Previously signed documents will not be notarized.

Certified Copies may be obtained at the Legal Assistance Office, but the original document MUST be present. (Note: US Government Identification Cards may not be photocopied, as this is in violation of Title 18, US Code Part I, Chapter 33, Section 701 and is punishable by fine and/or imprisonment. *This does not apply to government agencies in the performance of official government business.)

Claims: Client Legal Services is also the place to go for assistance with filing a claim. We assist soldiers, civilians, and family members seeking to recover for lost or damaged items during PCS moves.

General Information: The Legal Office provides brochures on various legal matters, available to the public on a walk-in basis. The brochure board is located on the right side of the wall prior to entering the Client Legal Services waiting area. General information topics include, but are not limited to:

• Divorce in Korea

• Separation Agreements and Divorce

• Military Support Obligation

• Dependency

Legal Phone Listing:


Phone: 753-6245

Hours: Mon-Fri, 9 a.m. -- 4 p.m.

Location: Bldg. S-578

Administrative and Civil Law Division

Phone: 753-5598

Hours: Mon-Fri, 9 a.m. -- 4 p.m.

Location: Bldg. S-578

Client Legal Services Division

Phone: 753-6245

Hours: Mon-Wed and Fri, 9:30 a.m. -- 4:30 p.m. Thurs, 1 -- 4:30 p.m.

Location: Bldg. S-578

Client Legal Services Division Fax

Phone: 753-8049

Hours: 24 hours

Location: Bldg. S-578

Military Justice Division

Phone: 753-3812

Hours: Mon-Wed and Fri, 9 a.m. -- 4 p.m. Thurs, 1 -- 4 p.m.

Location: Bldg. S-578

Tax Center

Phone: 753-5680

Hours: Mon - Fri, 10 a.m. -- 6 p.m., Sat. 10 a.m. -- 2 p.m.

Location: Bldg. S-578

Trial Defense Service

Phone: 753-3890

Hours: Mon & Fri, CLOSED for training, research, & case preparation.

Tues & Wed, 9:30 --11:30 a.m. and 1 -- 4 p.m.

Thurs, 1 -- 4 p.m.

(Article 15 and Chapter consultations MUST be here NLT 10:30 a.m. or 3 p.m. or they will NOT be seen)

Location: Bldg. S-577

Related Documents:

Affidavit of Elgibility for Marriage Instructions.pdf [PDF]

Article 139 Claims.pdf [PDF]

Instructions for Completing Apostille Request (Korean Form).pdf [PDF]

Jongno-gu Ward Office.pdf [PDF]

Marriage in Korea- 11 July 2012-with notes.pdf [PDF]

PCSing and Claims Article.pdf [PDF]

SOFA Claims.pdf [PDF]

State of Legal Residence Certificate.pdf [PDF]

USFK Reg 600-240 International Marriages of USFK Personnel.pdf [PDF]

Will Questionnaire.pdf [PDF]

Claims - Statutory Time Limit.pdf [PDF]

Filing a claim on DPS system.pdf [PDF]

Flood_Claim_Packet.pdf [PDF]

Preparing_a_Disaster_Claim.pdf [PDF]

Related Links:

U.S. Army Garrison Humphreys Homepage