By Gen. William S. Wallace, commanding general of U.S. Army Training and Doctrine CommandGen. William S. Wallace, commanding general of U.S. Army Training and Doctrine CommandAugust 6, 2008
Today only 28 percent of the 17- to 24-year-old population qualifies to wear a military uniform. The other 72 percent fail to meet minimum standards on education, character and health. We will not lower our training standards so we're faced with helping to raise the health and education standards for our young people who want to serve.