ROK and U.S. Soldiers combine forces during artillery competition
By 1st Armored Brigade Combat Team Public AffairsOctober 28, 2013
CAMP HOVEY, South Korea -- Soldiers of 1st Armored Brigade Combat Team, 2nd Infantry Division and the Republic of Korea Army's 7th Artillery Brigade, 661st Field Artillery joined forces Oct. 24, participating in a Top Gun Competition at Rooster 8 Training Area, South Korea.
The U.S. and ROK Soldiers joined together to compete as combined teams in the event, working in concert over four days of tough events and strengthening the alliance with partnership and friendship.
"After the past three days of training side by side, trading war stories and food and becoming familiar with the ROKA in general, I truly believe that if we had to fight tonight we would be fully capable of performing as an efficient battle team," said Pfc. John Cunningham, a Paladin driver with A Company, 1st Battalion, 15th Field Artillery Regiment, and a native of Lucedale, MS.
In units Army-wide, earning Top Gun honors is a prestigious achievement all field artillery Soldiers strive for. Reinforcing the strong alliance of the United States' and South Korean forces adds weight and purpose to a rare opportunity given to 2nd Infantry Division Soldiers serving in the Republic of Korea.
The artillery Top Gun competition is an annually held evaluation conducted in the form of a competition. Each of the participating crews tested in a series of firing tasks and drills with the highest scoring United States Army and ROKA combined team earning top gun honors.
- August 6, 2020Air defense captain shares lofty ambitions
- August 6, 2020Field artillery branch welcomes new command team
- August 6, 2020USAACE honors 'best warriors'
- August 6, 2020War Veterans Memorial Ceremony marks 70th anniversary of Korean Service Corps
- August 5, 2020121st Field Hospital Demonstrates Its Agility and Capability to Senior Medical Counterparts
- August 4, 2020121st Field Hospital Demonstrates Its Agility and Capability to ROK Counterparts
- August 3, 2020Unit Specialist for Intelligence and Sustainment Company reenlists at Humphreys
- July 30, 2020Soldier set to follow path to Army commission
- July 30, 2020Patient safety remains a top priority at European Army medical facilities
- July 29, 2020Brave Rifles Conduct Live Artillery Gun Raid Training
- July 28, 2020NETCOM Recognizes Top Talent
- July 28, 2020Northern Strike exercise “on target’ for Michigan Army Guard artillery unit
- July 27, 2020501st Military Intelligence Brigade Hosts Change of Command Ceremony
- July 22, 2020Private company tests ballistic orbital space access, new propellant at U.S. Army Yuma Proving Ground
- July 8, 2020Korea’s Top Dentist Changes Command