Exchange Helping Wounded Warriors Back on Their Feet
By AAFES Public AffairsOctober 11, 2013
The Army & Air Force Exchange Service, in conjunction with New Balance, is helping wounded service members take a step forward in their recovery process with free athletic shoes through the Wounded Care program.
Since 2007, the Exchange and New Balance have provided complimentary footwear to service members who have been injured in action. More than 400 free pairs have been provided to Wounded Warriors this year alone.
"These warriors have already sacrificed so much that the very least we can do is make sure they've got a good pair of shoes for their road to recovery," said the Exchange's Chief of Staff Col. Tom Ockenfels.
Members of any branch of service returning injured from Operations Iraqi, Enduring Freedom, New Dawn and Noble Eagle or any current member of a Wounded Warrior Battalion or a Warrior Transition Unit (AW2) are eligible to receive a free pair (any style) of in-stock New Balance athletic footwear. Certificates for the shoes can be obtained from the installation chaplain.
- September 15, 2017Army Warrior Care and Transition staff reaps the rewards of 26 Week Health Challenge
- September 15, 2017Adapting to the environment: Soldiers test essential skills in field training
- September 14, 2017'We have their backs': Fort Rucker aims to support wounded warriors with hunt
- September 14, 2017Adaptive sports helps Soldiers on road to recovery
- September 14, 2017ADA captain recounts Persistent Venture 17 experience
- September 14, 2017Soldiers compete for 'Culinary Warrior' title
- September 14, 2017Oklahoma Army National Guard Soldiers marry while activated for Hurricane Harvey relief efforts
- September 13, 2017Workforce Wednesday: Brittany Griffin
- September 12, 2017Soldiers in transition at Fort Carson use adaptive reconditioning to reach new heights
- September 11, 2017Col. Ali Zaza conduct damage control surgery training
- September 11, 2017Army researchers participate in DOD's first TED talk
- September 11, 2017Surface Warrior Spotlight shines on Larry Leonard
- September 10, 2017JBLM Hosts Third Annual C.A.R.E. Event
- September 10, 2017Participants in the Air Force Wounded Warrior Program engage in friendly matches
- September 10, 2017competition and camaraderie
- September 10, 2017Joint Adaptive Sports Camp, on Joint Base Lewis-McChord