Army North hosts 2nd annual St. Michael's medallion luncheon
By Staff Sgt. Corey Baltos, Army North PAOOctober 10, 2013
FORT SAM HOUSTON, Texas - Members of the U.S. Army North (Fifth Army) family joined their chaplaincy team for the second annual Saint Michael's medallion luncheon Sept. 27 at the historic Quadrangle.
Saint Michael is an archangel in Christian, Jewish and Islamic teachings; he is considered to be the patron saint of warriors, police officers and paramedics.
"We are here today to express our deep-seated and inexplicable faith that there is a power for good in the world," said Col. Gary Studniewski, command chaplain, Army North. "We also believe that there is a group of beings, invisible to us, that God has ordained to look after us."
Archbishop Timothy Broglio, head of the Archdiocese for the Military Services, USA, blessed the medallions. The AMS is responsible for certifying all Roman Catholic priests serving in the Armed Forces and is also responsible for the full range of pastoral care for the nearly 1.8 million Catholic families serving in the military. Broglio has served as the Archbishop of the Military Services, USA, since Jan. 25, 2008.
Before blessing the medallions, Broglio reflected on St. Michael's battle with Lucifer for power.
"The name Michael translates in Hebrew as 'like God,'" said Broglio. "There were two figures in heaven, both struggling with each other for power. Michael wanted to use the power for good, and the other wanted to use it for evil. Michael teaches us that those who have power should use it for good."
Broglio went on to say that St. Michael was a good patron for Army North because of its mission to defend the homeland.
After his reflections, Broglio blessed the medallions with prayer and holy water before they were then given to the audience.
- August 12, 2020Forney Airfield air traffic control tower upgrades nearing completion
- August 12, 2020Winn ACH Soldier deploys to the COVID-19 frontline in New York, returns
- August 8, 2020Donating plasma may be the key in the fight against COVID-19
- August 7, 2020Sergeant Major of the Army emphasizes quality of life during visit to Redstone Arsenal
- August 7, 2020NCNG dispatched to Oak Island to assist in recovery efforts
- August 6, 2020SMA emphasizes ‘This is My Squad,’ inclusion during visit to Fort Campbell
- August 6, 2020NCNG engineers respond to Hurricane Isaias
- August 3, 2020VING make repairs to local schools during annual training
- August 3, 2020Unit Specialist for Intelligence and Sustainment Company reenlists at Humphreys
- July 31, 2020Preserving Lives on the Battlefield
- July 31, 2020Construction reaches new heights on Red River of the North project
- July 30, 202015th MP Brigade welcomes new commander
- July 29, 2020COVID-19: Beyond the Uniform
- July 28, 2020FORSCOM welcomes new Command Sergeant Major