Freedom of Information Act
By U.S. ArmyJuly 10, 2015
The Freedom of Information Act generally provides that any person has a right, enforceable in court, to obtain access to federal agency records, except to the extent that such records (or portions of them) are protected from disclosure by one of nine exemptions or by one of three special law enforcement record exclusions.
Enacted in 1966, the FOIA established for the first time an effective statutory right of access to government information. The principles of government openness and accountability underlying the FOIA, however, are inherent in the democratic ideal: "The basic purpose of [the] FOIA is to ensure an informed citizenry, vital to the functioning of a democratic society, needed to check against corruption and to hold the governors accountable to the governed."
The Supreme Court has emphasized that "official information that sheds light on an agency's performance of its statutory duties falls squarely within that statutory purpose.
RDECOM FOIA Officer: (410) 436-7312
- July 9, 2018Army Combat Fitness Test set to become new PT test of record in late 2020
- July 3, 2018DHA director meets with RHC-P CG
- July 2, 2018JBLM to host two day July 4th Freedom Fest Celebration
- June 29, 2018Independence Day Safety Message
- June 28, 2018Fort Stewart DHR spotlights Andrea Everett
- June 28, 2018FREEDOM FEST ON FOURTH: National Infantry Museum invites Soldiers, Families for celebration
- June 26, 2018Fifteen exceptional employers recognized for top honor
- June 22, 2018Kentucky warns about diseased mosquitos, ticks and fleas
- June 21, 2018Freedom Fest returns with music, food, festivities
- June 16, 2018Army Reserve Soldiers Going the Extra Mile for Sgt. Audie Murphy Award
- June 15, 2018Rolling Thunder: MCOE rock band to perform at Freedom Fest
- June 13, 2018'Tropic Lightning' Soldiers conduct land nav for EIB
- June 13, 2018On Capitol Hill, Army leaders, lawmakers toast Army birthday, 243 years of defending freedom
- June 13, 2018Faces of the Force: How important relationships are to building a successful career
- June 12, 201817 Soldiers get Awarded Expert Field Medical Badge
- June 11, 2018Innovation in the Army needs to come from the top down and the ground up