Freedom of Information Act
By U.S. ArmyJuly 10, 2015
The Freedom of Information Act generally provides that any person has a right, enforceable in court, to obtain access to federal agency records, except to the extent that such records (or portions of them) are protected from disclosure by one of nine exemptions or by one of three special law enforcement record exclusions.
Enacted in 1966, the FOIA established for the first time an effective statutory right of access to government information. The principles of government openness and accountability underlying the FOIA, however, are inherent in the democratic ideal: "The basic purpose of [the] FOIA is to ensure an informed citizenry, vital to the functioning of a democratic society, needed to check against corruption and to hold the governors accountable to the governed."
The Supreme Court has emphasized that "official information that sheds light on an agency's performance of its statutory duties falls squarely within that statutory purpose.
RDECOM FOIA Officer: (443) 861-5262
- January 9, 2018Finally Olympic Bound: Soldier overcame heartache and injury to punch ticket to PyeongChang
- January 6, 2018USACE Quality Assurance checks help keep temporary emergency generators running in Puerto Rico
- January 5, 2018'Louisiana fast' -- 'for those who love food, 'Popeyes, QDOBA coming to Fort Knox
- December 29, 2017Pennsylvania National Guard helping shovel out Erie County after record snowfall
- December 26, 2017Perspectives: 2018 looks bright for MICC
- December 26, 2017Soldier-athletes demonstrate resiliency, enduring spirit in 2017
- December 22, 2017420th Engineer Brigade passes torch to 35th Engineer Brigade
- December 14, 2017MFIX develops bridges in capability gaps
- December 1, 2017Chief of Staff of the United States Army visits Fort Campbell
- November 30, 2017Fort Drum leaders seek to improve communications with Family Members
- November 22, 2017World War II vet of NY National Guard artillery regiment shares Souvenirs and memories
- November 22, 2017Holiday Season Safety Message
- November 21, 2017California Army National Guard runs Allied Spirit VII in Germany
- November 20, 2017Headquarters, Headquarters Company, 65th Medical Brigade changes leadership
- November 18, 2017California Army National Guard takes charge of Allied Spirit VII in Hohenfels, Germany
- November 17, 2017MHS GENESIS now live at four Pacific Northwest sites