Freedom of Information Act
By U.S. ArmyJuly 10, 2015
The Freedom of Information Act generally provides that any person has a right, enforceable in court, to obtain access to federal agency records, except to the extent that such records (or portions of them) are protected from disclosure by one of nine exemptions or by one of three special law enforcement record exclusions.
Enacted in 1966, the FOIA established for the first time an effective statutory right of access to government information. The principles of government openness and accountability underlying the FOIA, however, are inherent in the democratic ideal: "The basic purpose of [the] FOIA is to ensure an informed citizenry, vital to the functioning of a democratic society, needed to check against corruption and to hold the governors accountable to the governed."
The Supreme Court has emphasized that "official information that sheds light on an agency's performance of its statutory duties falls squarely within that statutory purpose.
RDECOM FOIA Officer: (410) 436-7312
- October 11, 2018WBAMC holds third annual BRA Day
- October 11, 2018WWI Centennial: Honoring a Legacy of Bravery and Sacrifice
- October 9, 2018Automated Meal Card Management System already in full effect at Fort Knox dining facilities
- October 2, 2018Fort Polk Dental Healthcare Activity earns DoD recognition, award
- October 1, 2018LMP Publications - Archive
- September 26, 2018Installation Access Request
- September 26, 2018JBMHH Form 190-16x: Installation Access Request Form --EXAMPLE-
- September 25, 2018Community invited to LRMC 65th Anniversary Open House
- September 24, 2018Policy and procedure update: access to Solo Point requires permit and vehicle pass
- September 21, 2018Shok Valley medic to receive Medal of Honor
- September 20, 2018Justice Ginsburg visits West Point for Zengerle Family Lecture Series
- September 12, 2018Purple Heart hunt allows wounded veterans exclusive access to Fort Greely
- September 11, 2018Beaver Battalion Reduces Obstacles
- September 6, 2018Meet the guard you may have been chatting with for years
- August 11, 2018Mock court martial in Alabama sets the bar for training