Arsenal service members participate in QC Memorial Day events
By Sgt. 1st Class Sean Riley, ASC Public AffairsMay 30, 2013
ROCK ISLAND ARSENAL, Ill. -- Military and civilian leaders from the tenant commands here spoke to assembled veterans and community members at 17 Memorial Day weekend events across the Quad City-area May 24-27. Many of the events, originally planned to be conducted outdoors, were moved undercover or to alternate locations due to rainy conditions.
Speakers and locations included:
• Command Sgt. Maj. (retired) Stephen Blake spoke at the Rock Island Arsenal National Cemetery here May 27.
• Brig. Gen. John Wharton, ASC commanding general and senior mission commander for RIA, spoke at the City of Silvis Annual Memorial Day Service, originally scheduled at the Hero Street Memorial Park in Silvis, Ill., but was moved to Veterans of Foreign Wars Post 8890 in East Moline, Ill., May 25.
• Command Sgt. Maj. James Spencer, ASC command sergeant major, spoke at the City of Davenport Memorial Day Ceremony, in Davenport Memorial Park's chapel in Davenport, Iowa, May 26.
• Maj. Gen. Michael Smith, deputy commanding general for support, First Army, spoke at the Ridgecrest Memorial Day Ceremony in Davenport, May 24; the Moline American Legion Ceremony in Moline, Ill.; and the Scott County Historical Society Memorial Day Celebration at Summit Church in Davenport, May 27.
• Maj. Gen. Kendall Penn, deputy commanding general for operations, First Army, spoke to gathered veterans and other attendees during the Bettendorf Memorial Day Event at Bettendorf Veterans Memorial Park in Bettendorf, Iowa, May 27.
• Chief Petty Officer Darryl Howlett, Navy Operations Center, RIA, spoke to the members and local community at the American Legion Post 569 in Milan, Ill., May 27.
• Sgt. Maj. Keith Jones, ASC Distribution Management Center, spoke at the Memorial Day Service Blue Grass Cemetery Veterans Avenue of Flags at the Blue Grass Cemetery in Blue Grass, Iowa, May 27.
• Col. Scott Lofreddo, ASC chief of staff, spoke at the Donahue American Legion event, Allen's Grove Cemetery in Donahue, Iowa, May 27.
• Col. Robin Moralez, chief of the ASC Command Operations Information Center, spoke at the Galva Memorial Day Commemoration at Galva Cemetery, Galva, Ill., May 27.
• Sgt. Maj. Mark Nissen, ASC Support Operations Directorate, spoke at the Preston American Legion, Preston, Iowa, and the Miles American Legion Post 677 Memorial Day Ceremony in Miles, Iowa, May 27.
• Brig. Gen. Duane Gamble, ASC deputy commanding general, addressed the crowd at the Port Byron American Legion Post 421 Memorial Day Ceremony at the Memorial Cemetery in Port Byron, Ill., May 27.
• Lt. Col. Bradley Cook, ASC Information Management directorate, spoke to the assembly at the Hero Street Memorial Day event at the Hero Street Monument in Silvis May 25 and the Sabula Memorial Day Service at the Riverfront Park in Sabula, Iowa, on May 27.