America's Great Outdoors Initiative
By ASA(CW) OfficeApril 25, 2013
On February 15, 2011, President Barack Obama announced the America's Great Outdoors Report, the Administration's action plan under the America's Great Outdoors initiative to achieve lasting conservation of the outdoor spaces that power our nation's economy, shape our culture, and build our outdoor traditions.The report released outlines ways in which the Federal Government will help empower local communities to accomplish their conservation and recreation priorities by recognizing that the best ideas come from outside of Washington. In the summer of 2010, senior Administration officials held 51 listening sessions across the country to gather input from Americans about the outdoor places and activities that they value most. These sessions drew more than 10,000 participants and more than 105,000 written comments, used to inform the America's Great Outdoors Report, which when implemented will result in:•Accessible parks or green spaces for our children.
•A new generation of great urban parks and community green spaces.
•Newly-restored river restorations and recreational "blueways" that power economic revitalization in communities.
•Stronger support for farmers, ranchers, and private landowners that help protect rural landscapes and provide access for recreation.
•The reinvestment of revenues from oil and gas extraction into the permanent protection of parks, open spaces, wildlife habitat, and access for recreational activities.
•A 21st century conservation ethic that builds on local ideas and solutions for environmental stewardship and connecting to our historic, cultural, and natural heritage
- July 8, 2020First Outdoor Recreation trip immersive, enlightening
- July 7, 2020New special operations outdoor training facility allows safe workouts
- July 7, 2020Fort Knox residents report ‘very good’ scores for post housing
- July 6, 20201st Space Brigade welcomes new commander
- July 6, 2020SMDC names 2020 Best Warriors
- July 6, 2020JRTC, Fort Polk BMTC provides training space under constraints
- July 3, 2020America’s Pacific Division hosts National Hiring Days event
- June 26, 2020502nd Bridge Company demolishes two buildings to make space for equipment
- June 26, 2020100th Missile Defense Brigade conducts unique training
- June 25, 2020Independence Day 2020
- June 23, 2020FamilyMWR to kick off 12-week esports tournament
- June 17, 2020NY Guard aviators team with Rangers on water bucket training
- June 11, 2020Army researchers find new ways to test swarming drones
- June 10, 2020Summertime fun, safety go hand-in-hand