Secretary of the Army Awards Program: Recognizing the role of environment and sustainability in mission accomplishment
What is it?
The Secretary of the Army Environmental and Sustainability Awards programs confer the Army's highest honor for environmental stewardship on those installations, teams and individuals making strides in endangered species protection, historic preservation, waste reduction, environmental cleanup, pollution prevention and sustainable environmental stewardship.
What has the Army done?
Seven installations, three teams and one individual will receive a Secretary of the Army Awards for their achievements. The winners of the fiscal year 2008 programs are:
- Camp Johnson, Vermont Army National Guard - Environmental Quality, Industrial Installation
- U.S. Army Garrison Bamberg, Germany - Environmental Quality, Overseas Installation
- Camp Navajo, Arizona Army National Guard - Cultural Resources Management, Installation
- Fort Bragg, N.C. - Environmental Restoration, Installation
- Camp Ripley Maneuver and Training Center, Minnesota Army National Guard - Natural Resources Conservation, Large Installation
- Combined Support Maintenance Shop, Michigan Army National Guard - Pollution Prevention, Non-industrial Installation
- Field Maintenance Shop #2 Pollution Prevention Team, North Carolina Army National Guard - Pollution Prevention, Team
- Fort Drum, N.Y. - Cultural Resources Management, Team/Individual
- Fort Hood, Texas - Sustainability, Installation
- Fort Carson, Colo. - Sustainability, Team
- Maj. Laura McHugh, Pennsylvania Army National Guard - Sustainability, Individual
Why is this important to the Army?
Sustainability and environmental programs enable the Army to strengthen readiness by maintaining training and testing areas; reduce costs and minimize impacts by using resources wisely; and enhance the well-being of our families and neighbors by improving the health of land, water and air resources, managing wildlife and preserving our culture.
What's planned for the future?
More and more environmental and sustainability initiatives are becoming ingrained in the Army's total approach to transforming its installations.
U.S. Army Environment Command Web site
Army Strategy for the Environment
Army Sustainability Report
Foresight 2007, Climate Change and Army Sustainability
Army Public Involvement Toolbox
- 2008 Strategic Communication Guide - Read the 2008 Army Strategic Communication Guide for key messages and updates
- Strategic Communication Coordination Group (SCCG) Workspace
- Army Public Affairs Portal
- Stories of Valor
- Speaker's Toolkit
- Information Papers with " 2008 Army Posture Statement"
- Early Bird News Site