Six AMC programs receive Shingo Public Sector Award
What is it:
Established in 1988, the Shingo Prize is administered by Utah State University and has been referred to by Business Week magazine as the "Nobel prize of manufacturing."
What has the Army done?
The U.S. Army Materiel Command (AMC) is the Army's premier provider of materiel readiness - technology, acquisition support, materiel development, logistics, power projection and sustainment - to the total force, across the spectrum of joint military operations. If a Soldier shoots it, drives it, flies it, wears it or eats it AMC provides it.
The Shingo awards are an affirmation of the best business practices AMC has integrated into the Army's industrial base. It's all about improving our support to the Soldier in the field.
Why is this important to the Army?
The Shingo Prize for Excellence in Manufacturing recognized six U.S. Army Materiel Command programs with the 2008 Shingo Prize Public Sector Award for achievement in implementing lean systems in support of the manufacturing, repair, overhaul and maintenance of warfighter equipment. The recipients are:
* Red River Army Depot, Texas - HEMTT Production Team
* Letterkenny Army Depot, Pa. - Biological Integrated Detection System
* Red River Army Depot, Texas - PATRIOT Missile Team
* Red River Army Depot, Texas - Tactical Trailer Team
* Tobyhanna Army Depot, Pa. - AN/ASM-189 Maintenance Electronic Shop Van
* Tobyhanna Army Depot, Pa. - AN/TYQ-23 Command and Control System
What continued efforts does the Army have planned for the future?
The AMC strives to continue to prove to be good stewards of cost and efficiency for the U.S. Army.
U.S. Army Materiel Command Web site
Shingo Prize Web site
Press Release: Six AMC programs receive Shingo Public Sector Award
- 2008 Strategic Communication Guide - Read the 2008 Army Strategic Communication Guide for key messages and updates
- Strategic Communication Coordination Group (SCCG) Workspace
- Army Public Affairs Portal
- Stories of Valor
- Speaker's Toolkit
- Information Papers with " 2008 Army Posture Statement"