"Army leadership understands that if you want to keep men and women in the Army you have to help support their families."
-Lt. Col. John P. Stack, garrison commander at Picatinny Arsenal, N.J.
Picatinny helps support warfighters on the home front
Army Senior Fellows Program
What is it?
The Army Senior Fellows Program is a leadership program designed to identify high-potential leaders and to provide them executive assignments and educational opportunities. The program builds executive core competencies, enabling participants to successfully manage higher levels of responsibility in diverse and complex environments. The objective is to have the right people with the right skills in the right place at the right time.
What has the Army done?
The Army Senior Fellows Program was initiated in 2007 by the Deputy Under Secretary of the Army for Business Transformation. Nearly two dozen Army Senior Fellows have participated in the program and are currently working in leadership positions in a variety of Department of Defense and interagency venues that include:
- Joint Staff
- Office of the Secretary of Defense
- Headquarters, Department of the Army
- Headquarters, Army European Command
- Headquarters, Army Materiel Command
- Headquarters, Army Training and Doctrine Command
- Department of Energy, Federal Energy Management Program
Army Senior Fellows educational experiences include:
- Naval War College
- Army War College
- Industrial College of the Armed Forces
- Office of Personnel Management, Federal Executive Institute
- Tufts-Fletcher University
- Massachusetts Institute of Technology
- Harvard Kennedy School
What continued efforts does the Army have planned for the future?
The Army Senior Fellows Program will continue to grow the level and diversity of executive assignments available for Senior Fellows to hone their executive skills. Expanded educational opportunities are on the horizon, as well as a guided mentorship program. Six new Army Senior Fellows will enter the program each year.
Senior Army leaders can invest in future leaders by:
- Serving as mentors to Army Senior Fellows
- Creating challenging leadership assignments, both short- and long-term (up to one year), to provide Army Senior Fellows opportunities to work the Army's most significant challenges
- Encouraging high-potential civilian talent to compete for the Army Senior Fellows Program
Why is this important to the Army?
The Army Senior Fellows Program is an important venue to groom future civilian senior executives by providing advanced education and leadership opportunities. The program goal is to develop senior civilians capable of meeting the complex demands and challenges of the changing national security environment.
Email direct questions and comments to: SeniorFellows@hqda.army.mil
Army Business Transformation Knowledge Center Web site
Army Senior Fellow application
- 2008 Strategic Communication Guide - Read the 2008 Army Strategic Communication Guide for key messages and updates
- Strategic Communication Coordination Group (SCCG) Workspace
- Army Public Affairs Portal
- Stories of Valor
- Speaker's Toolkit
- Information Papers with " 2008 Army Posture Statement"
Aug. 6, 2008: Anniversary of Hiroshima
Aug. 9, 2008: Anniversary of Nagasaki
Aug. 16, 2008: 25th Anniversary of Army Family Action Plan