"They went from looking at a camera and wondering, 'What do you want me to do with this?' to holding the camera with confidence and saying, 'Let me show you what I can do with this."
- Army Sgt. McCoy, who developed a combat camera course for Iraqi security forces
Iraqi forces learn combat camera skills, document missions
"At Balad Air Base, 95 percent of the hospital staff are Air Force personnel, but most of the U.S. patients treated here are Army or Marine Corps. We don't care what uniform our patients wear, but it would drive us crazy if there were different systems to document care based on their service."
- Lt. Col. John Mansfield, a strong proponent of a joint medical record initiative
MC4 device recording patient info in combat hospitals
Service-Disabled Veteran-Owned Small Business (SDVOSB) Program
What is it?
The purpose of the Army's SDVOSB Program is to maximize contracting opportunities with the federal government for small businesses owned by service-disabled veterans. The mission of the Army Office of Small Business Programs (OSBP) is to serve as advisor to the secretary of the Army on SDVOSB-related matters in support of the U.S. Army's mission. The OSBP spearheads innovative initiatives to maximize business opportunities for SDVOSBs by synchronizing critical resources through extensive marketing, counseling and training.
What has the Army done?
The Army has increased contract awards made to SDVOSBs from $100 million in 2003 to $916 milion in 2007. The Army, in conjunction with the Federal Interagency Council, will host the 4th Annual National Veteran Small Business Conference and Expo in Las Vegas, Nev. The conference is the largest venue of its kind that is set up to assist SDVOSBs with contracting to the federal government by providing sessions on legislative updates and changes in market strategies. The Army has created a senior leadership training video designed to educate Army leadership and acquisition professionals on the importance of achieving the 3 percent contracting goal set forth within Executive Order 13360. On Jan 9, 2008, the secretary of the Army published a memorandum encouraging the Army senior leadership to aggressively include SDVOSBs in contract solicitations and increase outreach activities to meet the 3 percent goal.
What efforts does the Army plan to continue in the future?
- The Army will continue to partner with the Federal Interagency Council to host future meetings of the National Veteran Small Business Conference and Expo.
- The Army will continue to increase the SDVOSB base by identifying and developing companies that possess the capability and capacity to meet the full spectrum of Army acquisition requirements.
- The Army plans to increase sole source and restricted competition contracting opportunities for SDVOSBs through extensive market research and innovative acquisition strategies.
- The Army will continue to maintain strategic partnering relationships with the Department of Defense, other defense agencies, federal agencies and veterans service organizations.
- The Army plans to leverage all small business programs to maximize contracting opportunities for SDVOSBs and foster prime and subcontracting opportunities through joint ventures and teaming arrangements.
Why is this important to the Army?
The Department of the Army and the OSBP have a vested interest in supporting veterans who have served with pride and selfless dedication in the defense of this nation and have continued to support our warfighter as small business entrepreneurs. Veteran entrepreneurs possess the knowledge and commitment through their experience as servicemembers needed to assist the Army with its transformation to the 21st-century fighting force.
- 2008 Strategic Communication Guide - Read the 2008 Army Strategic Communication Guide for key messages and updates
- Strategic Communication Coordination Group (SCCG) Workspace
- Army Public Affairs Portal
- Stories of Valor
- Speaker's Toolkit
The Army Community Relations Calendar
School is eager to see Soldier/teacher again
Elementary school kids learn to be 'ambassadors' at SAES
Good Neighbor English Camp: Korean students get taste of American life
Yongsan block party ushers in summer
May- July 4, 2008: Season of Remembrance
- Asian - Pacific Heritage Month
- Mental Health Month:
- Army Behavioral Health
- DOD Military Health System
Saturday, May 31, 2008: U.S. Military Academy Graduation Ceremony
Medal of Honor Ceremonies for Spc. Ross McGinnis:
- Monday, June 2, 2008: White House Ceremony
- Tuesday, June 3, 2008: Pentagon Hall of Heroes Ceremony
U.S. Army Birthday Celebrations:
-Saturday, June 7, 2008: The New Orleans Army Birthday Ball
-Saturday, June 14, 2008: The U.S. Army Birthday Ball