Army Child and Youth School Transition Services
What is it? Army Child and Youth School Transition Services consists of a variety of programs and initiatives that provide strategies and resources for garrisons, school districts, parents/guardians to face the changes associated with transitioning from one school to another in support of the Army's mission.
What has the Army done? The Army School Transition Plan is designed to develop and implement strategies that prepare Army Families for successful transition of more than 45,000 military connected students in the United States and school systems that support families of Soldiers deployed outside the United States. This support is key to improving quality of life of the mobile and rapidly changing Army of today. An infrastructure has been built to support school transitions since 1998 consisting of:
- School Transition Services- Designated as a core competency of Child and Youth Services to better address the many issues facing military connected transitioning school-age students.
- School Liaison Officers (SLOs)- Seven Army installations have hired SLOs to be primary advisors to garrison command staff, parents, and educators.
- School Transition Specialists- Hired at the seven Installation Management Agency offices to evaluate and work systemic school transition issues.
- Army Family Action Plan- Conducted Education Summits, focus groups, and research to complete school transition-related issues raised at the Army Family Action Plan conferences.
- Army Senior Stabilization Policy for Soldiers with High School Seniors- Allows Soldiers to remain in current assignment to allow children to complete their senior year.
- Army In and Out Processing Protocol- Requires garrisons establish procedures that ensure Soldiers with school-age children connect with garrison School Liaison Officers.
- Transition Counselor Institute- Provides professional development for counselors regarding education-related issues resulting from frequent moves.
- Special Education Leadership Institute- Promotes awareness of amplified transition challenges of children with special needs.
- Student2Student- Establishes campus-based, student-led, and faculty- sponsored program that trains teams of peers to support transitioning students.
- Parent-to-Parent Cadre Teams- Establishes parent-centered initiative that empowers parents to be informed, positive, and proactive transition specialists at home.
- Secondary Education Transition Study Memorandum of Agreement- Encourages school districts to sign the agreement to develop reciprocal practices to support transitioning school-age students.
- This topic was taken directly from the 2007 Army Posture Statement. To continue reading this topic in its entirety, click here.
- 2007 Strategic Communication Guide - Be Army Strong, and Army Smart. Read the 2007 Army Strategic Communication Guide.