I think that the Army is too small for the century that we're in. I believe the plan we have is the proper plan and proper slope to do it. And so my advice would be that we complete the plan and we sustain this force. It's my opinion the nation can afford it, and it's necessary in this century.
Army Chief of Staff Gen. Peter J. Schoomaker
2007 Army Posture Statement - Train and Equip Soldiers to Serve as Warriors and Grow Adaptive Leaders
We are better preparing our Soldiers for the rigors of war and developing our leaders to serve as multi-skilled pentathletes able to thrive amidst complexity and uncertainty. Recognizing that intellectual change precedes physical change, we are:
- Producing Soldiers armed with the mindset, values, and combat skills to serve as competent, resilient warriors.
- Reinforcing a commitment to our Warrior Ethos among all our Soldiers and Army Civilians.
- Enhancing education and training programs throughout the Army: at home stations, at our Combat Training Centers, within our schools, by leveraging distance learning methods - and by increasing opportunities for graduate level education.
- Growing innovative, adaptive leaders through training and education programs that quickly apply lessons learned during combat, stability operations, reconstruction, and in providing support to civil authorities.
- Enhancing our capabilities by providing the best possible training, weapons, sensors, protection, and equipment to our Soldiers.
- Expanding our emphasis on language training and enhancing cultural awareness in our military education programs.
- Improving our Soldiers' abilities to operate in complex environments overseas and with other governments and militaries to strengthen the capacity of partner nations.
For further information on this and other strategic initiatives, visit the 2007 Army Posture Statement website.
The Army Communication Guide 2007 enables unity of effort through consistent communication planning and provides source information on our strategic initiatives. (AKO login required)