The enemy the United States faces today is 'not a conventional nation-state foe like the Soviet Union'.
The enemy is dispersed, ruthless and consists of a global network of extremists who intend to advance their 'radical aims' through nontraditional means. QDR will improve the effectiveness and efficiency of the military and will foster a move toward processes that will improve the joint capability of the military and provide 'a framework to reshape the defense enterprise to better support the warfighter'.
Deputy Secretary of Defense
The 2006 Quadrennial Defense Review (QDR) Part 1
The QDR was released to the public on 6 February 2006. This 2006 Quadrennial Defense Review is submitted in the fifth year of this long war. The QDR is part of the continuum of transformation in the Defense Department. Its purpose is to help shape the process of change to provide the United States with strong, sound and effective warfighting capabilities in the decades ahead.
The Quadrennial Defense Review takes a look at the capabilities the national will need to prevail in this war.
The QDR defines two fundamental imperatives for the Department of Defense:
- Continuing to reorient the Department's capabilities and forces to be more agile in this time of war, to prepare for wider asymmetric challenges and to hedge against uncertainty over the next 20 years.
- Implementing enterprise-wide changes to ensure that organizational structures, processes and procedures effectively support its strategic direction.
The QDR identifies the four most pressing demands our nation faces, and uses this list to define what kind of capabilities and policies the military needs to continue to reorient the force:
- Defeating terrorist networks;
- Defending the homeland in depth;
- Shaping the choices of countries at a strategic crossroads; and
- Preventing the acquisition or use of WMD by hostile states or non-state actors.
United States Department of Defense site
QDR Briefing on the Pentagon Channel
QDR Dominated by Uncertain, Unpredictable World
Tomorrow: QDR Part 2