Historically, America's Army has existed to deter enemies, and when necessary, fight and win the nation's wars. But the Army does so much more - from maintaining peace in the Balkans, to building roads in Afghanistan, to helping the new democracy in Iraq, to supporting hurricane relief; the Army serves America's interests.
Dr. Francis J. Harvey
Secretary of the United States Army
U.S. Central Command (USCENTCOM): Pakistan Earthquake Relief
USCENTCOM is headquartered at MacDill Air Force Base in Tampa, Florida, and is one of nine Unified Combatant Commands assigned operational control of U.S. combat forces. USCENTCOM's areas of responsibility (AOR) stretches from the Horn of Africa to Central Asia. USCENTCOM Facts can be seen on www.centcom.mil
USCENTCOM's Commander, Gen. John Abizaid, reports directly to the Secretary of Defense, who in turn, reports to the President of the United States.
- In the spirit of a long-standing friendship and Pakistan's unwavering support in the War on Terror, the United States is helping the Pakistani care for their citizens in quake-stricken regions.
- The Pakistani and U.S. Forces are working together as friendly soldiers in a friendly nation.
- The U.S. is responding to Pakistan's requests for life-sustaining logistical support, search and rescue capabilities and evacuation and medical care for the injured in a robust, forward-leaning manner.
- Resources are readily available to support major humanitarian operations simultaneously with ongoing combat operations without degrading support anywhere in the world.
- The U.S. military lift and movement capability is ready to meet the needs of this unfolding crisis and ongoing operations around the world.
- Challenges presented by weather, terrain and the sheer magnitude of this tragedy will be met by our technology, innovative planning and the professionalism and determination of our young men and women in uniform.
PAKISTAN EARTHQUAKE RESPONSE STATS
For more information, see: CENTCOM Homepage
THREE WISHES: MILITARY HOMECOMINGS
Friday, October 28, 9:00PM EST, NBC, Military Homecomings .
ESPN REEL CLASSICS: FIGHTING BACK: THE ROCKY BLEIER STORY
Sunday, Oct. 30, 8:00PM EST, ESPN Classic, Fighting Back: The Rocky Bleier Story .