We need to take these ideas and continue the campaign of learning between now and 2015. We have to conduct studies, wargames, experiments; we need to stretch these ideas to the breaking point, because we have to make sure we're right. We have to be prepared to change as we go to get this right for the future.
BG(P) David A. Fastabend
Deputy Director/Chief of Staff, Futures Center
The Army in Joint Operations: The Army's Future Force Capstone Concepts 2015-2024
The Army's Capstone Concept, TRADOC Pamphlet 525-3-0, is the overarching visualization of how the Army Future Force will support Joint Force Commanders.
The seven key operational ides underpinning The Army in Joint Operations are:
- Shaping and Entry Operations - Shaping regional security conditions, and - if forces are committed - shape the battlespace. Further, using multiple entry points to overcome enemy anti-access actions, enhance surprise, reduce predictability, and produce multiple, overlapping dilemmas for the enemy.
- Operational Maneuver from Strategic Distances - Employing advanced Joint lift platforms to deploy modular, scalable, combined arms formations in mission-tailored force capability packages to close the gap between early entry and follow-on campaign forces.
- Intratheater Operational Maneuver - The ability to expand capability to exploit opportunities and generate dislocating and disintegrating effects through ground, air, and sea operations.
- Decisive Maneuver - Achieving campaign objectives through simultaneous, distributed operations, controlled operational tempo, and direct attack of key enemy capabilities and centers of gravity.
- Concurrent and Subsequent Stability Operations - The capability to secure and perpetuate the results of decisive maneuver during the campaign and "win the peace" to ensure the long-term resolution of the conflict.
- Distributed Support and Sustainment - The ability to provide continuous sustainment of committed forces in all phases of the operation with the smallest feasible deployed logistical footprint.
- Networked-Enabled Battle Command - Facilitating the situational understanding needed for synchronized and effective application of Joint and Army combat capabilities.
See the entire document: The Army in Joint Operations, The Army Future Force, Capstone Concept 2015-2024, version 2.0
See the video: Army Future Force Presentation
Two Days in October
Based on the book They Marched Into Sunlight by Pulitzer Prize-winning journalist David Maraniss, Two Days in October tells the story of two turbulent days in October 1967 when history turned a corner.
See The American Experience: Two Days in October , Monday, October 17th. See your local listing for times in your area.