[T]o truly be successful, transformation must build on those enduring values and rich traditions of the Army. We will keep the best of the past, while transforming to be better able to meet the challenges of the future.
Dr. Francis J. Harvey
Secretary of the Army
ARMY STRATEGIC PLANNING GUIDANCE
The Army Strategic Planning Guidance is the Army's institutional strategy and serves as its principal long-range planning document. The ASPG consists of ten Strategic Imperatives.
Strategic Imperatives #2-5
2. Improve Capabilities for Homeland Defense
- The Army contributes an active, layered defense of the U.S. by providing relevant capabilities to the Combatant Commanders.
- The Army will establish a Homeland Defense Focus Area whose purpose will be to make recommendations for the development and implementation of solutions to improve HQDA support for Homeland Defense.
3. Improve Proficiencies against Irregular Challenges
- Irregular challenges are unconventional methods adopted and employed by non-state and state actors to counter stronger state opponents.
- Examples of irregular challenges are terrorism, insurgency, attacks against U.S. economic targets and infrastructure, and propaganda campaigns against the U.S.
- Keys to combating irregular challenges include:
-- Integration and synchronization of all information operations (IO) elements.
-- Development of understanding new environment at operational and strategic levels.
-- Development of doctrine and capabilities that reflect the reality of battlespace.
4. Improve Capabilities for Stability Operations
- The Army will establish a Stability Operations Focus Area mandated to identify and implement initiatives to increase Army capabilities to plan and conduct stability operations in a joint, interagency and multinational context.
5. Achieve Army Force Capabilities to Dominate Complex Terrain
- Executing operations in complex terrain is likely and expected.
- Assessment of nearly every battlefield operating system for effectiveness is essential.
May 25, 2005
Twenty-seven Soldiers will be awarded the General Douglas MacArthur Leadership Award tomorrow in Crystal City, VA. For the list of awardees and more information, click here.