Transformation is a journey. It is not a destination. And transformation is not synonymous with modernization. It is not only done in the material dimension of the process. It involves doctrine. It involves organization. It involves training. It involves the way we develop our leaders. It involves the way we structure our installations; the way we train, equip, raise our soldiers; how we treat our families. (Transcript)
Gen. Peter J. Schoomaker
Army Chief of Staff
ARMY STRATEGIC PLANNING GUIDANCE (ASPG)
The Army Strategic Planning Guidance is the Army's institutional strategy and serves as its principal long-range planning document.
The 2005 ASPG:
- Provides a long-term prospective for planning at all levels.
- Provides a common understanding of the Army's contribution to National Security and the Joint Team.
- Identifies areas where additional emphasis is needed to maintain momentum for transformation and change.
- Introduces ten new strategic imperatives.
- Explains how these ten new strategic imperatives will allow the Army to accomplish its mission to meet the challenges of current and projected security environment.
Ten Strategic Imperatives:
1. Implement Transformation Initiatives
2. Improve Capabilities for Homeland Defense
3. Improve Proficiencies Against Irregular Challenges
4. Improve Capabilities for Stability Operations
5. Achieve Army Force Capabilities to Dominate in Complex Terrain
6. Improve Army Capabilities for Strategic Responsiveness
7. Improve Global Force Posture
8. Improve Capabilities for Battle Command
9. Improve Joint Fires Capability
10. Improve Capabilities for Joint Logistics
To read the ASPG, go to www.army.mil/references.
Nominations for this year's Knowledge Management awards are being accepted until June 15 on Army Knowledge Online. The Army Knowledge Awards Program recognizes outstanding initiatives that support enterprise solutions which improve situational awareness and decision-making.
The six award categories are:
- Knowledge Transformation Initiative
- Enterprise Solution
- Cross-Functional Solution
- e-Army Initiative
- Community of Practice
- e-Learning Initiative
For more information or to nominate an organization for the award, go to https://www.us.army.mil/suite/portal.do?$p=9. AKO username and password is required to access the site. (Story)