From horseshoes to 'shukran'
Photo Credit: Presidio of Monterey archaeological office
PRESIDIO OF MONTEREY, Calif. -- A pile of horseshoes lays partially buried at the construction site of the new general instruction building at the Presidio of Monterey. During construction of the building, a cache of horseshoes and related items were found, and are believed to date from between 1903 and 1912, when four or five cavalry units were stationed at the Presidio. The U.S. Army Corps of Engineers Sacramento District oversaw construction of the building, used by the Defense Language Institute to teach military personnel foreign languages.
Page last updated Tue June 26th, 2012 at 00:00