Flipper's Ditch
Photo Credit: Ben Sherman, Fort Sill PAO
Malaria was a great health threat at Fort Sill in the 19th century. In 1878, 2nd Lt. Henry Flipper used his engineering skills to create an effective system to drain swampy areas, thus eliminating the malaria-carrying mosquitoes. The drainage system, known as "Flipper's Ditch," is still in use today. It is now a national landmark, located just west of the Fort Sill Patriot Club.
Page last updated Thu February 2nd, 2012 at 00:00