SP4 Leslie H. Sabo Jr. distinguished himself, May 10, 1970, in Se San, Cambodia, while serving as a rifleman in Company B, 3d Battalion, 506th Infantry, 101st Airborne Division.
Members of B. Co. were ambushed by a large enemy force. While conducting a reconnaissance patrol, 22-year-old Sabo, charged an enemy position, killing several enemy soldiers. Immediately thereafter, he assaulted an enemy flanking force, successfully drawing their fire away from friendly soldiers and ultimately forcing the enemy to retreat.
When a grenade landed nearby a wounded comrade, Sabo picked up the grenade threw it away while shielding his buddy with his own body, thus absorbing the brunt of the blast and saving the man's life.
Seriously wounded by the blast, Sabo, nonetheless, retained the initiative and single- handedly charged an enemy bunker that had inflicted severe damage on the platoon. He received several serious wounds from withering automatic weapons fire in the process. Despite being mortally injured, he crawled towards the enemy emplacement and, when in position, threw a grenade into the bunker. The resulting explosion silenced the enemy fire, but also ended Spc. 4 Sabo's life.
The 101st Airborne Division's latest Medal of Honor recipient was honored during an emotional ceremony, Jan. 25, 2013, at McAuliffe Hall on Fort Campbell, Ky. MORE about Medal of Honor recipient honored, joins others from storied 101st Airborne Division
The Defense Department's most senior leaders today honored Vietnam War veterans, including their own friends and mentors, in a commemoration at the Vietnam Veterans Memorial wall here they said was... MORE about Panetta, Dempsey recall Vietnam vets' valor, sacrifice
Slideshow Description: A day after Spc. 4 Leslie H. Sabo Jr. was posthumously awarded the Medal of Honor, Army and Defense officials inducted him into the Pentagon's Hall of Heroes, May 17, 2012. MORE about Army Secretary honors Sabo at Hall of Heroes induction
Medal of Honor Ceremony for Specialist Leslie Sabo Jr. As Delivered by Secretary of Defense Leon E. Panetta, Pentagon Hall of Heroes MORE about May 17, 2012 -- Speech - MOH Sabo, by Secretary of Defense Leon E. Panetta
On the day after President Barack Obama presented Rose Mary Sabo-Brown, Spc. 4 Leslie Sabo's widow, with the Medal of Honor, Jim Waybright and other Soldiers who had fought alongside Sabo the day... MORE about Boys of Bravo Company become 'Bravo Family' - finally
A day after Spc. 4 Leslie H. Sabo Jr. was posthumously awarded the Medal of Honor, Army and Defense officials inducted him into the Pentagon's Hall of Heroes. MORE about Sabo inducted into Pentagon Hall of Heroes
Washington D.C. (May 16, 2012) - Chaplain (Maj. Gen.) Donald Rutherford, 23rd Army Chief of Chaplains, delivered the invocation for the Medal of Honor ceremony honoring Spc. 4 Leslie H. Sabo. MORE about Chief of Chaplains' prayer at Medal of Honor ceremony honoring SP4 Sabo
More than 42 years after performing selfless, heroic actions in Cambodia, which resulted in his death, Spc. 4 Leslie H. Sabo Jr. was recognized at a White House ceremony when his widow accepted the... MORE about President presents Medal of Honor to Vietnam hero's widow
President Barack Obama paid tribute today to a man who died defending his fellow Soldiers 42 years and six days ago, and who the commander-in-chief said represents a generation's honorable and... MORE about President awards posthumous Medal of Honor to Vietnam-era Soldier
Medal of Honor Citation: Specialist Four Leslie H. Sabo, Jr. MORE about Medal of Honor Citation: Specialist Four Leslie H. Sabo, Jr.
Specialist Leslie H. Sabo Jr., married his fiancée, Rose Mary, in September of 1969 and had 30 days with her before he was sent off to Vietnam, and eventually, Cambodia. There, he would... MORE about Soldier's sacrifice, acts of gallantry honored after 42 years
Rose Mary Sabo-Brown vividly remembers May 15, 1970 as the worst day of her life. It was the day she learned that her new husband, Spc. 4 Leslie H. Sabo Jr. of the 101st Airborne Division, wasn't... MORE about Remembering a hero: Medal of Honor recipient Spc. 4 Leslie H. Sabo Jr.
President Barack Obama has announced that Spc. 4 Leslie H. Sabo Jr., a rifleman with the 101st Airborne Division, will posthumously receive the Medal of Honor May 16, 2012, for his actions during... MORE about Vietnam hero to receive Medal of Honor posthumously
- Medal of Honor Citation for Specialist Four Leslie H. Sabo Jr.
- STAND-TO!: Vietnam War Soldier posthumously awarded the Medal of Honor
- Service & Awards
- White House announcement
- 17 Soldiers killed in action in Vietnam
- Vietnam Veterans Memorial - The Virtual Wall
- 506th Infantry Regiment
- Army.mil: Medal of Honor
- Vietnam War Medal of Honor Recipient Major Bruce P. Crandall
- STAND-TO!: Army Values
- Video: Leslie Sabo to receive Medal of Honor (MSNBC)
- Soldier to receive posthumous Medal of Honor for heroic actions in 1970 Cambodia battle (MSNBC)
- Long, winding road from heroism to Medal of Honor (Pittsburgh Post-Gazette)
- Pennsylvania Soldier to get Medal of Honor 42 years after his death (Washington Post)
- Soldier to receive posthumous Medal of Honor for heroic actions in 1970 Cambodia battle (Huffington Post)
- Vietnam War hero Spc. Leslie H. Sabo Jr. to get posthumous Medal of Honor (Fox News)
- Dead Soldier to receive Medal of Honor (UPI)
- Soldier to receive posthumous Medal of Honor (Army Times)
- Ellwood city Soldier posthumously awarded Medal of Honor (CBS Local (Pittsburgh KDKA) )
- 101st Soldier to receive posthumous Medal of Honor for actions in Cambodia (Clarksville Leaf Chronicle)
- Vietnam veteran to be awarded Medal of Honor (Stars & Stripes)
- Local man awarded Medal of Honor (Times Online)
- Leslie Sabo gets Medal of Honor from Vietnam War (San Francisco Chronicle)
- 40 years late, Vietnam hero Leslie Sabo gets Medal of Honor (ABC News)
- Video: Medal of Honor awarded to Leslie Sabo (CBS News)
- Four decades later, Vietnam War Hero Spec. Leslie Sabo receives Medal of Honor (Yahoo)
- Vietnam veteran Leslie Sabo, Jr. to receive Medal of Honor posthumously (Fox News)
- Leslie H. Sabo Jr., hero killed in Vietnam War, receiving Medal Of Honor from Obama (Huffington Post)
- 42 years later, Obama awards Sgt. Leslie H. Sabo Jr. the Medal of Honor (The Inquisitor)
- 40 years late, Vietnam Hero Leslie Sabo gets Medal of Honor (WEJA Hits)
- Sabo, killed in 1970, finally gets Medal of Honor (Jackson Sun)
- Archdale vet remembers Medal of Honor recipient (My Fox 8)
- Leslie Sabo: A tTrue American hero (The Moderate Voice)
- Family of soldier to receive Medal of Honor (Marine Times)
- Obama gives Medal of Honor to Soldier who died 42 years ago (KGMI)
- Video: SPC Sabo inducted into Pentagon's Hall of Heroes (The Leaf Chronicle)
- Her husband, a hero lost for the lives of others (NPR)
- **External Links Disclaimer**