Skip to Main Content


State and Community Programs and Services

Azalea Charities

Azalea Charities provides comfort and relief items for soldiers, sailors, airmen, and Marines who are sick, injured or wounded from service in Iraq and Afghanistan. They purchase specific items requested by Military Medical Centers, VA Medical Centers, and Fisher House rehabilitation facilities each week and offer financial support to CrisisLink, a Hotline for wounded soldiers and their families, and Hope for the Warriors, special projects for wounded soldiers. Azalea Charities mission is to lift wounded Soldiers spirits and enhance their morale as well as affect a lifetime support program.

Accessible Homes for Wounded Warriors

Granting Freedom, Virginia's Military Home Modification Grant Program, is a grant program that funds home modifications for injured service members. These funds can be used to widen doorways and add ramps to make a home wheelchair accessible, to install grab bars in a bathroom, or other modifications.

The Southwest Military Family Support Center

The Southwest Military Family Support Center was established to reduce the stress for both the service member and their family by providing a way for the community to express its gratitude by providing services, volunteering, or making donations to assist service members and their families while they are deployed. The staff and volunteers of the center want to help military families stay connected to the community while their loved one is deployed and help them cope with the stress of deployment.

Military Spouse Residency Relief Act

On November 11, 2009, the President signed into law the Military Spouse Residency Relief Act. This Act, among other things, provides that when a service member leaves his or her home State in accord with military or naval orders, the service member's spouse may retain residency in his or her home State for voting and tax purposes, after relocating from that State to accompany the service member. In the State of Virginia an exemption from Virginia withholding tax may be claimed if an employees spouse is a member of the U.S. Armed Services and their state of legal residence is not Virginia. For more information visit