Was ist los in Franken?: March 21-27, 2013
March 22, 2013
Volksmarch in Franken
Volksmarches have been popular with Americans stationed in Europe for decades, and with winter on its way out and the weather gradually improving, the hiking season is about to pick up again. Participants in Germany can typically choose from 5/6k, 10k or 20k distances; hikers don't start all at once, but within a certain time frame and cover the chosen distance at their own pace. Food and drinks are sold on location and registration is possible on site. It is best to contact the listed point of contact for exact starting times, updates and detailed location information. For other locations within Germany, visit www.dvv-wandern.de.
Here is a quick look at upcoming Volksmarches in Franconia:
- March 24 in Heilsbronn (5/10 km) Klosterwanderer Heilsbronn e.V. (FR-M), 09822/604260, www.klosterwanderer.de, Start time: 7 a.m. to noon at Hohenzollernhalle. For more information, see www.dvv-wandern.de/files/file/heilsbronn.pdf.
- March 29 in Thüngersheim (6/10/20 km); RV Concordia Thüngersheim, 97291 Thüngersheim, 09364-3368 -- Start time: 7 a.m. to 5 p.m. Veitshöchheimer Str. 29, Weingut Hart (vintner's yard) -- www.dvv-wandern.de/files/file/thngersheim.pdf.
- April 1 in Neuhaus a.d. Pegnitz "Cave to Cave Tour" (13k); VVV Neuhaus a. d. Pegnitz, 09154-911576. Start time: 9:30 a.m. at Neuhaus a.d. Pegnitz, Zur Linde, Finstermühle 28.
- April 6 and 7 in Langenzenn (5/10/20 km), Wanderfreunde Alte Veste Zirndorf, 09103-1812. Start time: 7 a.m. to 2 p.m. at Stadthalle, Pfaffenleite 16, 90579 Langenzenn -- www.dvv-wandern.de/files/file/langenzenn.pdf.
- April 13 and 14 in Creussen: Hike (5/10/20 km) and bike (25k); Wanderfreunde Funkendorf-Creussen, 09270-399, Start time: Saturday 8 a.m. to 1 p.m., Sunday 7 to 11 a.m. at Mehrzweckhalle, Bahnhofstr. 11, 95473 Creussen -- www.dvv-wandern.de/files/file/funkendorf-1.pdf.
- April 13 and 14 in Höchstadt (5/10/20 km); Wanderfreunde Höchstadt, 09193-3351. Start time: 6 a.m. to noon at An der Steige 5, Aischtalhalle, 91315 Höchstadt a.d. Aisch -- www.dvv-wandern.de/files/file/hchstadt.pdf.
Easter in the Handwerkerhof Nürnberg
The Handwerkerhof in Nürnberg, a medieval enclosure across from the main train station, is now decorated in Easter fashion; all the little traditional houses, stores and restaurants and the well will feature season greens, colorful eggs and more. The Handwerkerhof is open Monday through Saturday from 9 a.m. to 10 p.m.; the stores are open 10 a.m. to 6:30 p.m. weekdays and 10 a.m. to 4 p.m. Saturdays. For more information, visit www.handwerkerhof.de.
Spring Fest Würzburg
The annual Spring Fest in Würzburg at the FestplatzTalavera (LuitpoldstraYe) is now open through March 24. Opening hours are Monday through Thursday from 2 to 11 p.m., Friday/Saturday from 2 p.m. to midnight and Sunday from noon to 10:30 p.m. To learn more, visit www.wuerzburg.de/de/veranstaltungskalender/events-termine/fruehjahrsvolksfest-2012/index.html.
Easter Market in Nürnberg
The traditional annual Ostermarkt is still open on Nürnberg's Hauptmarkt until April 1. More than 80 vendors are offering household products, wood and ceramic crafts, curtains, clothes, books and more. Opening hours are Monday through Saturday 9:30 a.m. to 7 p.m., and Saturday and Easter Sunday from 10:30 a.m. to 7 p.m.; closed on Good Friday.
The 12 Tenors in Bamberg
The 12 Tenors are coming to the Bamberger Konzert- und Kongresshalle (MuYstraYe 1) March 21 at 8 p.m. Their repertoire includes classic arias like Nessun Dorma or pop songs by Michael Jackson.
Easter Market in Herzogenaurach
The Easter market in Herzogenaurach centers on the decorated Easter fountain March 22 through 24. Saturday also features the "Construction & Renovation" fair, while a car show attracts visitors Sunday. Opening hours are daily 10 a.m. to 6 p.m. To learn more, visit www.herzogenaurach.de.
Spring Fest in Bad Windsheim
The annual spring fest in Bad Windsheim, March 30 through April 7, offers rides, musical entertainment and food daily, starting at 2 p.m. at the Festplatz am SchieYwasen. For details visit www.tourismus.bad-windsheim.de.
Flamenco Festival in Würzburg
The Flamenco Festival in Würzburg presents itself with an entertaining program, showing Flamenco dance in traditional and modern ways. The festival takes place March 30 through April 7 in the Mainfrankentheater Würzburg and the Zehntscheune Weingut Juliusspital. To learn more, visit www.wueflamencofestival.com.
Spring Fest in Nürnberg
The annual spring fest at the Dutzendteich in Nürnberg is scheduled for March 30 through April 14. For details, map and opening hours, visit www.volksfest-nuernberg.de.
Bamberg Spring Fest
The Bamberger Frühjahrsplärrer is one of the largest spring fests in the area. It takes place at the Plärrerplatz an der Breitenau (ZeppelinstraYe) from March 30 through April 14 and is open daily from 2 to 9:30 p.m. and 1 to 10 p.m. Friday and Saturday. For details visit www.schausteller-bamberg.de.