Army Wins Day One at Interservice Pistol Championship
June 10, 2008
FORT BENNING, Ga. (Army News Service, June 10, 2008) - Soldiers of the U.S. Army Marksmanship Unit are continuing to lead in the 49th annual Interservice Pistol Championship Matches, which started June 6 at Phillips Range.
USAMU service pistol shooter Sgt. 1st Class Eric G. Daniels beat
72 competitors to win the .22-Caliber Individual Interservice Championship June 9.
Staff Sgt. Robert S. Park II and Staff Sgt. James M. Henderson were tied just one point behind Daniels. The USAMU Service Pistol Team of Daniels, Park, Henderson and Sgt. Michael S. Gasser won the .22-Caliber Team Interservice Championship.
Henderson won the National Rifle Association Warm-up Aggregate by winning the Center Fire, .45-Caliber and Service Pistol matches and taking second place in the .22-Caliber match June 7 and 8. Park was second overall, won the .22-Caliber match, took second place in the Service Pistol match and finished third in the Center Fire competition.
Daniels was third in the overall aggregate and finished third in the Service Pistol match.
Staff Sgt. Adam E. Sokolowski took second place in the Center Fire competition, Staff Sgt. Lyman P. Grover and Sgt. 1st Class Gregory S. Wilson were second and third in the .45-Caliber match and Gasser placed third in the .22-Caliber competition. The NRA Warm-Up matches were open to military and civilian competitors.
The U.S. Army Marksmanship Unit is hosting the Interservice Pistol Championship Matches through June 13 at Phillips and Parks ranges on Fort Benning. All members of the Armed Services - active-duty, Reserve, National Guard and cadets - have been invited to participate.
Awards will be presented to winners and second- and third-place finishers in all individual and team matches.
The schedule of events follows:
* 8 to 11 a.m. - Center Fire Individual Match
* 1:30 to 3 p.m. - Center Fire Team Match
* 3 to 4 p.m. - Team photos
* 8 to 11 a.m. - .45-Caliber Individual Match
* 1:30 to 3 p.m. - .45-Caliber Team Match
* 3 to 4 p.m. - Excellence in Competition Match
* 8 to 11 a.m. - Service Pistol Individual Match
* 1:30 to 3 p.m. - Service Pistol Team Match
* 8 to 9:30 a.m. - Combat Pistol Classes
* 9:30 a.m. to 12:30 p.m. - Combat Pistol Individual Match
* 1 to 2:30 p.m. - Combat Pistol Team Match
* 6 p.m. - Awards Banquet, Columbus Trade and Convention Center
(Paula J. Randall serves as public affairs officer for the U.S. Army Marksmanship Unit, Accessions Support Brigade.)