Domestic Violence Awareness Month
September 27, 2012
Domestic Violence Awareness Month activities will be held throughout October:
* "Remember Me": Oct. 3 from 11 to 12:30 p.m. at McGill Training Center ballroom, 8452 Zimborski Ave. The event will include a proclamation signing and guest speaker, William Kellibrew. He is an international advocate for peace and survivor of child sexual abuse and domestic violence. Kellibrew is the president of the William Kellibrew Foundation.
* Domestic Violence in the Workplace Training: Oct. 5 from 10 to 11 a.m. at McGill Training Center, 8452 Zimborski Ave.
* Domestic Violence 101 Training: Oct. 9 from 10 to 11 a.m. at Community Readiness Center, 830 Chisholm Ave.
* "Hands R-Not For Hitting": Oct. 4 from 9 to 10:15 a.m. at Child Development Center I, 4725 Ruffner Road; Oct. 15 from 10 to 11:15 a.m. at CDC II, 3100 MacArthur Road; and Oct. 25 from 9:15 to 10:30 a.m. at CDC III, 910 Ernie Pyle Road.
* Teens and Bullying: Oct. 11 from 3 to 4 p.m. at the Teen Center, 3102 Clark St.
The event will feature presenter Mothyna James-Brightful, community educator at TurnAround, a domestic violence and sexual assault center in Baltimore.
* The Rights of the Military Spouse and Related Family Law Issues: Oct. 11 from 9 to 11 a.m. at Smallwood Hall, 4650 Griffin Ave.
The program will be presented by the Fort Meade Legal Assistance Division.
* Human Trafficking: Oct. 12 from 10:30 to 11:30 a.m. at Smallwood Hall, 4650 Griffin Ave.
The program will be presented by the FBI.
* Professional Ethics Training for Social Workers/Mental Health Professionals: Oct. 19 from 9:15 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. at Environment Protection Agency Environmental Science Center, 701 Mapes Rd.
* Donate a Cell Phone to a Victim at collection boxes at the Community Readiness Center, 830 Chisholm Ave.
Cell phones will go to Verizon and will be used as "hope lines." Victims will receive phones with 3,000 anytime minutes.
* Shower Fort Meade with Purple Lights
Picerne Military Housing will issue purple lightbulbs to the first 100 on-post participants. Lights will be displayed during October.
* Purple Friday
Community is encouraged to wear purple every Friday in October.
For more information, call Tina Gauth, Fort Meade victim advocate, at 301-677-4117.