Severe Weather Update
January 26, 2012
UPDATED: 3:45 p.m. -- Due to the current and forecast weather conditions, Fort Rucker officials have ceased training for the rest of today. A liberal leave policy is in place for civilian employees other than key and essential and this also includes all military personnel.
All post activities are cancelled.
The following are closed: Lyster Army Health Clinic, V.A. Clinic, DENTAC, Fort Rucker schools, commissary, AAFES Main Store, Class VI Store and Burger King.
The Child Development Center and Youth Activities Center will remain open until all children are picked up and then will close.
The main shoppette/gas station, dining facilities and gyms will remain open for normal operations.
The R.V. park recreation building will be open for shelter for those in R.V.'s and mini-trailers.
Fort Rucker will resume normal operating hours Friday, Jan. 27, unless otherwise specified.
UPDATED: 1:30 p.m. --A weather watch for strong winds and heavy precipitation has been issued for this afternoon and early evening (valid time: 11:00 a.m. - 7:00 p.m.).
The strong system has moved into eastern Mississippi this morning and continues to threaten our area with the potential for severe weather later today. We expect some isolated showers and thunderstorms to begin developing in our area around the lunch hour. The strength and coverage of the storms will increase as the afternoon progresses with the highest risk for severe weather between 1600L and 1900L. Our greatest threat remains strong winds (GTE 50 knots), but an isolated tornado is not completely out of the question. The IOC will continue to monitor.
The Fort Rucker Commanding General has authorized the following:
• Liberal leave policy for all DA Civilian employees other than those designated as key and essential;
• Cancellation of all training effective noon today, Jan. 26.
• Release of all military personnel other than designated key and essential personnel
• Closure of the Fort Rucker Elementary School effective today, Jan. 26, at 12:30 p.m.
• Closure of the Fort Rucker Primary School effective today, Jan. 26, at 12:45 p.m.
• Closure of the Fort Rucker Commissary effective today, Jan. 26, at 2:30 p.m.
• Child Development Center and Youth Activities Center will close once all children are picked up;
• AAFES main store closure at today, Jan. 26, at 2:30 p.m.; the Main Shoppette remains open for normal hours of operation;
• Fort Rucker resumes normal operating hours effective tomorrow, Jan. 27, unless otherwise specified.
Check the Fort Rucker Public Affairs Facebook page at http://www.facebook.com/ftrucker for latest updates.
Due to the threat of severe weather, the following school systems will be closing early today:
Houston County and City Schools are closing at 11:30 a.m.
Geneva County and City Schools are closing at 11:30 a.m.
Henry County and City Schools are losing at 12:00 noon
Enterprise City Schools are closing at 12:30 p.m.
Coffee County Schools are closing at 12:30 p.m.
Daleville City Schools are closing at 12:30 p.m.
Dale County and Ozark City Schools are closing at 1:00 p.m.