History Takes Aim at Ordnance School
September 27, 2011
FORT LEE, Va. - The Ordnance School received its newest piece of heavy metal Sept. 27, in the form of a historic U.S. Army 12" railroad gun. The gun, built in 1899, was used as a stationary costal defense weapon until modified to be installed on a railcar in 1920. This allowed the gun to be moved to different defense locations. Twelve of these guns were produced, but this is the only one left (serial number 9) in existence. After World War II, the guns were used to test different munitions until being decommissioned in the mid 1960's. The gun can be viewed at the Ordnance Campus and is located by the flyover bridge.