'Amazing Race' to challenge families
March 2, 2011
FORT STEWART, Ga. -- "Passports" in hand, Soldiers and family members at Fort Stewart, Ga., and Hunter Army Airfield, Ga., will set out March 12, to complete the challenges before them in Fitness First: The Amazing Race.
Completion will make them eligible for a drawing to win a prize package consisting of a television, a Wii and a Wii Fit. A prize package is being offered at both Fort Stewart and Hunter.
Family Readiness Groups could be big winners, too. If they have a minimum of 20 families competing, and they have the most families in the Amazing Race, they will win $800. The $800 award is being offered at both Fort Stewart and Hunter.
The Family fitness fun begins at 9 a.m. at Bennett Sports Complex on Stewart and 9 a.m. at Hallstrom Lake on Hunter. There is no cost to enter and registration can be completed until a short time before the events begin. Single Soldiers also are invited to participate.
At Fort Stewart, the race will take families from Bennett Sports Complex to Marne Lanes, Newman Gym, Jordan Gym, Corkan Family Recreation Center and Club Stewart.
At Hunter, competitors will go from Hallstrom Lake to the Skeet Range, the Hunter Golf Club, Hunter Lanes, the Commissary, the Squires Sports Complex and Tominac Fitness Center.
Families must complete all fitness challenges, six at Stewart and seven at Hunter, by noon to have their "passport" entered into the prize package drawing.
Family and Morale, Welfare and Recreation will staff each challenge location. Equipment needed to complete each challenge will be provided on-site by FMWR.
At each stop, when the challenge is completed, the family's passport will be stamped to show the task has been accomplished. Only one member of the family need complete the challenge to have the passport stamped.
Each Family and Morale, Welfare and Recreation facility on the challenge path will provide information about fitness programs, exercise and the We Can! (Ways to Enhance Children's Activity and Nutrition) program. Health screenings and information about nutrition for adults and children also will be available.
Here are the challenges Stewart/Hunter Families will face beginning at 9 a.m. March 12 in Fitness First: The Amazing Race.
1. Hit three softballs into the outfield at Bennett Sports Complex
2. Knock down a rack of pins at Marne Lanes
3. Make five free throws at Newman Fitness Center
4. Complete a Wii Fit Challenge at Jordan Gym
5. Climb the Rock Wall at Corkan Family Recreation Center
6. End event at Club Stewart
Hunter Army Airfield:
1. Kayak across Lake Hallstrom
2. Hit targets with a paintball gun at the Skeet Range
3. Hit a golf ball 70 yards or more three times at the Hunter Golf Club
4. Knock down a rack of pins at Hunter Lanes
5. Locate the milk man at Hunter Commissary
6. Hit three softballs into the outfield at Squires Sports Complex
7. Make three free throws at Tominac Fitness Center to end event